This job is about value and values – gaining value through our procurement activities whilst delivering social value for our residents.
Our Procurement team touches all parts of our organisation and is central to our ability to deliver our priorities. Investment in the team means we’ve created a new role to help us achieve them.
We support hybrid working, it’s important to us that working arrangements are designed to enable our employees to excel and within this role you’ll have the opportunity to work in a way that helps you to deliver your best.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
You’ll be key to delivering a step-change in procurement and contract management across the Council and we’ll support you to lead the development and subsequent implementation of a series of strategic and operational procurement practices, along with a series of innovative commercial initiatives to achieve the best overall value possible from procurement and contracts, including social value.
You’ll have a key role in projects spanning the entire organisation, promoting solutions, supporting colleagues, and making a real contribution to our success.
- Professional lead for the development and delivery of procurement strategies and initiatives
- Act as a change agent to achieve increased qualitative, quantitative and social and economic value from all procurement activity across the Council
- Develop an updated commercial governance framework and imbed a methodology of continuous improvement across the organisation
- Provide expert advice to senior stakeholders across the range of council services
We’re looking or an experienced procurement professional with developed relationship building skills and the ability to see the strategic view. Experience of working with a team to deliver change will really help you to hit the ground running.
- As a key link in procurement and contract management; the ability to build collaborative relationships with Council stakeholders
- Experience in leadership, demonstrating acute commercial acumen and a values driven approach, integrating policy into strategic business plans for delivery of commercial outcomes
- You will have demonstrable experience of leading and delivering change projects and programmes, building on best practice frameworks and processes
- You will also be experienced in managing complex procurements, ideally in the public sector, with a knowledge of UK Procurement Regulations
- Relevant professional qualification, such as CIPS (Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply), or a recognised business qualification desirable.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 4th December 2022
Interview Date: 14th – 15th December 2022
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment