Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
Hillingdon is London's second largest borough. Our staff live across Hillingdon and beyond, with our main council offices at the Civic Centre in the heart of vibrant Uxbridge town centre. Putting our residents first is at the heart of everything we do, and we are embarking on an ambitious plan to modernise our service offering, while sustaining the high-quality delivery.
We operate a busy, innovative and dynamic Legal Department, which is committed to providing high-quality, client focused legal services. The team works in close collaboration with our service areas providing a comprehensive support service across a wide range of Council areas including adult and children's care, planning, housing and litigation.
About the role
A challenging and interesting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Child Protection Lawyer to join the team in a role which offers excellent career development and the opportunity to support vulnerable children living within our Borough.
You will be a qualified solicitor, barrister or ILEX with excellent knowledge of the law and practice relating to child protection and related matters. You will have strong advocacy skills and a proven track record of advising and managing complex issues pertaining to children, including adoption and judicial review.
We are looking for a team player who is good at building successful relationships with clients and using their own initiative to help safeguard some of our most vulnerable residents.
The key responsibilities of the role include; -
- Providing professional support to the Paralegals in the Team undertaking Child Care work.
- To take responsibility for and have conduct of cases in all Courts, Tribunals etc, to appear personally on the Council's behalf as appropriate in cases in civil and criminal Courts and before Tribunals and Inquiries and to instruct Counsel as appropriate.
- To provide training, briefing and information on developments in the law affecting Child Care.
- To attend and advise at such meetings as required, in particular, the Adoption Panel and any working parties and officer groups as a representative of the Team.
- To provide legal comments for reports to Cabinet and other Committees and attend as the Legal Services Officer at meetings of Cabinet and other Committees as required.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Our borough offers fantastic transport links with the A40, M25, the Metropolitan, Elizabeth, and Piccadilly lines all local to us, so you can travel to work with ease, with free parking within our own car park. We also offer a hybrid working arrangements, with time balanced between the office and home.
Please upload your CV and a covering letter explaining clearly why you consider yourself to be an excellent fit for the role.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.