Job Title: Transport Policy Officer
Salary Range: £33,820 with the opportunity to progress to a maximum of £37,261 per annum
Hours: 37 per week
Contract: Fixed Term for 18 Months
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
Help us develop the future of transport for Hertfordshire. We are looking for someone who is interested in shaping the new Local Transport Plan which provides the way forward on policies, strategies and major schemes for the next 20+ years, all of which will have an impact on the lives of the 1.2 million residents in the county.
You will be involved in the intense development process over the next 18 months, which will provide the opportunity to work on a wide range of activities including research, data analysis, policy writing and public consultation.
The purpose of the role is to help develop the statutory Local Transport Plan which will both meet the aspirations of the county council as set out in its Corporate Plan, and the national requirements as set out by the Department for Transport.
This is an additional fixed-term role to fill in gaps in capacity in the existing team as they occur. This means that you will be working on a variety of different tasks to tight deadlines. Whilst the flexibility required means that the precise workload cannot be mapped out for the 18 months, the work will include some or all of the following elements:
- Working on the development of transport policies in conjunction with internal and external stakeholders
- Undertaking research on emerging transport topics
- Interpretation of the Department for Transport guidance as it emerges
- Supporting the development of the quantified carbon reduction assessment
- Reviewing and analysing data
- Supporting the public consultation process, including collating and assessing responses
- Developing performance indicators
The work will require a number of different technical focusses and the ability to switch them at short notice. The work outputs will have a number of different audiences, from transport specialists, officers in other fields, elected members and the public.
We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following skills:
- Ability to initiate and carry out focussed research tasks on technical issues and to be able to produce written summaries for a range of different audiences
- Ability to make presentations to non-technical audiences
- Ability to communicate and influence colleagues at different levels across the organisation
- Confidence in collating and assessing basic data
- Ability to work and manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to undertake complex task with minimal supervision
- Experience of working with computers, with “Windows” based applications such as Outlook, Word and Excel
This will be a challenging but rewarding role because of the need to carry out a variety of tasks as the need arises. The variety means that this role could provide the stepping stone to developing a career in many different transport specialisms.
Closing Date: Sunday 4th December 2022
Interview Date: Monday 12th December 2022
For an informal discussion and more information please contact: Trevor Mason, Team Leader - Strategic Transport & Rail at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01992 556117