Strategic Financial Planning Officer – Adult Social Care Finance
Salary: Band 11 £42,503 – £46,549
37 hours per week
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
As the Strategic Financial Planning Officer you will be responsible for supporting the Group Accountant and Finance Manager within the Adult Social Care & Health Finance Team. You will be delivering high quality strategic and operational financial support to members, Strategic Directors, Senior Management Teams and external Health Partners. You will also provide financial information to Government Departments and other internal & external Stakeholders.
For more information on the specifics of this job role, please have a look at the job specification attached at the bottom of the advert.
What you’ll need to succeed
To be a Strategic Financial Planning Officer, you will need to have the following skills and experience:
1. Be a fully qualified CCAB Accountant (NVQ level 5) with several years of post-qualification experience.
2. Have highly developed communication and influencing skills.
3. Be able to think creatively, innovate and be able to problem solve.
4. Be able to exercise sound judgement and make quick decisions and recommendations.
5. Have political sensitivity and awareness.
6. Be able to innovate and think creatively to advise Strategic Directors and Heads of Service whilst always retaining financial integrity – e.g., how to maximise resources & use them creatively whilst being able to defend the legality of use.
7. Have extensive experience of multi-year budget preparation and monitoring, closing of accounts, financial appraisals etc.
8. Have strong negotiation skills – e.g., to support multi-million pound contract negotiations and the resolution of contract disputes.
9. Have strong project management skills and be able to lead on the planning and delivery of financial projects and to be fully involved in all other strategic projects.
10. Have experience of dealing with staffing issues – e.g., allocation of duties, management and co-ordination of resources (workloads, leave requirements, cover for vacant posts for specific deadlines) to produce quality work to agreed deadlines. Experience of disciplinary, grievance, competency procedures etc.
11. Be able to work unsupervised and use own initiative.
12. Have knowledge and experience of s.75 agreements (pooled budgets), Private Finance Initiatives, etc.
13. Have experience of risk management – both operational and financial risks.
14. Have expertise in Value for Money techniques.
15. Have experience & understanding of financial systems & interfaces with business applications – e.g., Fusion and BI (main accounting system), ContrOCC (Social Care), etc.
16. Have expert knowledge of the preparation of statutory accounts for both public and private sector legal entities.
17. Have in depth knowledge and experience of all areas of finance and the application of Professional Codes of Practice (e.g., Treasury Management, Prudential Code, Statements of Recommended Practice, Best Value Accounting Code of Practice, specific legislation regarding health & social care, etc.).
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is very important or you are likely not to be shortlisted.
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, including flexible working hours, extensive wellbeing support through the Employee Assistance Programme and a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the “Job Profile” to ensure you application matches the requirements of the role.
If you would like to know more about the role and would like an informal conversation please contact Richard.Webb@portsmouthcc.gov.uk
Please ensure to complete the application in its entirety and add in comments to the Personal Statement section
We look forward to speaking with you soon.