Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the Libraries and about the job
About Hillingdon Libraries
Hillingdon Library Service has refurbished or rebuilt all 17 of its buildings and offer more to residents than ever before. Hillingdon Libraries are now open longer and offer first-rate facilities, events and activities.
About Oak Farm Library
Oak Farm Library is one of Hillingdon’s most popular Libraries with some of the highest footfall in the borough. Close to several primary schools and a children’s centre, the Library is particularly well-used by families. The branch aims to offer excellent customer service to residents who visit to borrow books, use computers and attend events.
About the job
This is a part time position, hours of work 16.5 per week, working at Oak farm Library.
As a Library Assistant, you will undertake a range of tasks and duties under the direction of the Branch Manager. The core purpose of this role will be to encourage the use of library services within the community, and to assist service users in making effective use of the resources and information available to them.
About the person
You will be working in a busy and pressured environment, so you will need to be confident and comfortable in a front-facing position in order to provide a customer oriented service to the public. You will need to have excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly with customers and team members both verbally and in writing.
Applicants will be expected to be able to ensure the efficient operation of the front line service in the absence of a manager.
You will regularly encounter library users that require computer assistance and therefore good IT skills and sound knowledge of the Microsoft Office packages will be essential. In addition, you will need to be organised and methodical and able to follow instructions accurately, carrying out tasks and supporting users.
The working pattern for this position will be:
Mon - 1-7
Tue - 8.30-5.30
Mon - 1-7
Tue - 10-5.30
Sat - 8.30-4
The Library Assistant Job Profile is attached below for further information about the skills and experience required for this role.
When completing an application, please ensure you answer all questions.Proposed interview date: Thursday 4th October
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 23 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Additional Information continued
Disability Confident Employer
& Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy