Salary: Band 6 £24,148 – £27,852
Fixed Term contract up to 12 months as maternity cover with the possibility of extension
Flexible hours between 30-37 hours per week – hours can be discussed at interview stage.
If you have proven PA experience and would like to be part of a dedicated team this could be the role for you!
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Every post is subject to PCC and Portsmouth Safeguarding Children’s Board safer recruitment procedures.
Your New Role
You will be providing a high level of Personal Assistance and Secretarial support to the Director of Children, Families and Education, Cabinet Member for Education and the Cabinet Member for Children and Families.
Within the role of a PA you will be resolving, prioritising and managing the Director of Children, Families and Education (DCS) diary and manage mail and any other correspondences. You will be responsible in dealing with emails, phone calls, meeting requests in a proactive manner, ensuring all important matters are brought to the DCS in a timely manner.
You will be required to draft and type letters, maintain paper and electronic files, and arrange meetings. You will also be organising travel and accommodation for the DCS as and when required.
You will be liaising with Council Members and other external agencies and be minute taking sensitive and confidential information at Board meetings and Partnership Meetings, ensuring the correct actions, action trackers and papers are circulated within the agreed timescales and you will be Preparing reports, presentations, newsletters and dealing with invoices and expenses will be part of this role, as well as organising events.
What you’ll need to succeed
You will have:
- Proven PA experience.
- Experience of working for Senior Managers/Director level (or equivalent) essential providing a high-quality Secretarial/Personal Assistant service.
- Experience of working in Children’s and/or Young People’s Services would be advantageous.
- Excellent IT skills in Microsoft Office applications (including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook) and a word processing and/or typing (RSA) qualification would be an advantage.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- An ability to take concise minutes accurately at complex meetings often of a sensitive and/or confidential nature ensuring minutes, actions and papers are circulated within agreed timescales essential
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, as you will be dealing with people from all walks of life, including elected Council Members, other local authorities, partner agencies and members of the public.
- Experience of managing diaries and meetings is essential, with the ability to prioritise effectively a must.
- Excellent organisational skills to enable you to manage a demanding workload and meet tight deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- A flexible attitude to work as the office needs to be covered by the team from 8.30am – 5.00pm and occasionally you will be required to minute meetings out of these hours.
- A customer-focus (internal and external) and be able to demonstrate consistently high standards of customer care and customer service.
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, including flexible working hours, extensive wellbeing support through the Employee Assistance Programme and a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
Please note this advert currently has no closing date, however should we find the successful candidate, we could close the advert before the date stated . We will be contacting those successful at shortlisting for interviews as and when they apply.
If you would like to know more about this post and have an informal discussion about the role please feel free to email Rachel.Mckeever@portsmouthcc.gov.uk.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the “Job Profile” to ensure you application matches the requirements of the role.
Please ensure to complete the application in its entirety and add in comments to the Personal Statement section
We look forward to speaking with you soon.