Plus tool allowance
Reading Borough Council Commercial Services has an ambitious programme of refurbishments to ensure we meet Decent Homes Standards across our housing stock which numbers 6,500 homes.
Due to an increasing programme of work the Commercial Services Team are looking to further build their team of multi-skilled experienced operatives to work primarily on our Kitchen and Bathroom Refurbishment programme.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
The role will primarily be working within a team of operatives in our planned team, installing new kitchens, bathrooms and level access showers. This role will suit someone with experience of completing full installations of Kitchens and Bathrooms with the necessary skills in Carpentry/Plumbing/Tiling/ Vinyl floor laying and basic plastering.
- Work in void & occupied properties
- Strip out works
- Kitchen/ bathroom fitting to NHF schedule of rates
- The ability to think and make a decision quickly is essential
- PDA usage, paperwork (limited)
- Providing out of hours support on a rota based system. Additional remuneration will be incorporated for this. Volunteers are sought first and foremost but if there was a requirement then you would be expected to be available.
You will be supplied a company vehicle, specialist tools, mobile phone/ PDA, and all other items that will allow you to perform to the highest standards.
These positions are full-time Mon-Fri on site by 08:00am and leaving site at 16:00pm
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
- The ideal candidate must be organized and able to solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Be able to fit a kitchen in the time allowed which totals approx 32-35 kitchens per year
- You will be required to manage your own van stock and materials and therefore will need to work methodically and allow time within your day to order and collect materials/parts.
- Excellent communication skills in sometimes difficult circumstances
- Skilled, highly motivated and keen to work in a fast moving and constantly evolving public sector.
- Full valid manual driving licence
- Ideally minimum of a full trade apprenticeship or hold a City and Guilds or NVQ Level 2 qualification in carpentry as well as other basic skills and be able to demonstrate relevant experience within the construction industry. Tiling, carpentry and basic plumbing is a must, plastering and other trades are non-essential but preferred.
- Experience of workplace health and safety
- Asbestos awareness training would be advantageous
- Part P electrical qualification would be of benefit but not essential
- Experience of working within the Social Housing sector (ideally)
- Computer literate
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at Bennet Road
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 20th November 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Interview Process: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.