Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
Working as part of a team you will be responsible for drafting a range of legal documents related to Adult Social Care (ASC) Court work to include s.21 appeals as both Applicant and Respondent. You will also conduct cases in the Court of Protection. You will also provide practical clear advice on a range of adult social care matters often to tight deadlines.
You will also advise on ordinary residence disputes, mental health and general safeguarding. You will be able to take on urgent and sometimes unfamiliar matters at short notice.
What you’ll need to succeed
You will be a qualified solicitor, barrister or legal executive and have a detailed knowledge of Adult Social Care law. You will have the ability and interest in advocacy and be able to deal with interim hearings and contested hearings if required to do so.
You will be able to work to a Lexcel standard with an ability to file manage with a dedicated administrative support being provided together with a case management system.
You will have excellent communication and influencing skills as you will be dealing with people at all levels of the organisation and need to ensure your advice is understood and implemented to eradicate any unnecessary exposure. You will have excellent attention to detail as you will be dealing with a varied workload and be expected to ensure work is completed within agreed timescales and ensuring excellent outcomes.
If you have an excellent standard of literacy with the ability to draft legal documents and correspondence to a professional standard and an understanding of working in a politically sensitive environment then we would love to hear from you.
What you’ll get in return
An excellent package of benefits, including:
• Flexible working hours including the opportunity for remote working however there will be a need to come into the office on occasions.
• Excellent working environment within a friendly and supportive team.
• Membership to an excellent pension – the Local Government Pension Scheme – with the opportunity to join the AVC scheme to maximise your savings!
• Up to 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays and the option to buy up to 10 days additional leave per year for a more favourable work/life balance;
• Discounted membership at multi-site leisure centres within the city of Portsmouth.
• Staff discounts for travel/ local concessions.
• Cycle to work / car benefit scheme.
• Season ticket loans.
• Lots more benefits are available through our My Rewards scheme.
• We also have an employee assistant programme and wellbeing activities.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the “Job Profile” to ensure you application matches the requirements of the role.
Please ensure to complete the application in its entirety and add in comments to the Personal Statement section
We look forward to speaking with you soon.