ENVIRONMENTAL & COMMUNITY SERVICES
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOG WARDEN
37 HOURS PER WEEK – working on a rota basis covering Monday to Sunday
GRADE D £22,777 to £25,409 per year
Do you have experience in enforcement and dog handling?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Neighbourhood Dog Warden within our Environmental & Community Services Directorate.
You will be expected to:
- Provide high levels of enforcement and influencing behaviour within the community.
- Seize stray dogs under the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Control and reduce nuisance dogs in the Borough through legislative and educational means.
- Take a proactive role in encouraging members of the public to comply with environmental laws and provide education to dog owners.
- Undertake investigations and take legal action against offenders.
- Issue Fixed Penalty Notices for environmental offences.
- Attend magistrates’ court when required.
- Work outdoors in all weathers.
It is essential that you have experience of:
- A working knowledge of at least some of the legislation and statutory guidance relevant to the service
- Being assertive and the ability to deal appropriately and effectively with conflict.
- Using communication skills including persuasion and advocacy.
- Collating and presenting data in a statistical form.
- Both oral and written skills including the ability to produce structured detailed reports.
Ideally you will have:
- Previous experience of working with the public.
- A Dog Handling certificate.
In return, we offer a competitive salary and a generous annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days per year and rising to a maximum of 32 days after 5 years. Other benefits include opportunities for training and learning, free workplace parking within the borough, option to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and subsidised leisure membership with the Fit for Work Scheme.
Please note this post requires the successful candidate to undertake a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants should note the working pattern for this post is working on a rota basis covering Monday to Sunday until 7pm.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 25th November 2022.
To apply please visit http://www.erewash.gov.uk/job-search
Alternatively an application form and job description is available from Personnel, Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 5RP, telephone: 0115 931 6049 (24 hr voicemail), e-mail: email@example.com
If you are a current employee of Erewash Borough Council and you wish to apply for this vacancy, you must apply through your Employee Self Service account. If you do not have access to Employee Self Service, you must complete a paper or word version of Erewash Borough Council’s job application form.
The Council is positive about disabled people and those who meet the essential shortlisting requirements will be guaranteed an interview.
The Council also supports the Armed Forces Covenant and those who have previously worked in the armed forces and meet the essential shortlisting criteria will be guaranteed an interview. Please ensure that you make it clear on your application form that you wish to be considered under this criteria.