Job Title: Communications Officer
Location of work: Split between Town Hall, Reigate and homeworking
Salary: £30,108 - £32,424
Basis: Permanent, full time – 36 hours / week
We’re looking for a talented Communications Officer to join a forward-thinking, results-driven Communications Team in a modern, progressive council.
The Communications Officer role is very diverse with key responsibilities including traditional media relations, content creation including social media, magazine production, general communications support and some admin.
You’ll need to be adept and experienced at developing and selling in news stories which promote the council in interesting and innovative ways as well as confident in overseeing the production of our annual residents’ magazine with an audience of 140,000+. You will need to juggle competing demands, deal with people at many different levels, be able to distil sometimes complex issues and propose the right communications solutions.
At the same time, you’ll be an integral member of an inspiring and creative team with responsibility for informing and explaining, protecting and enhancing the reputation of the council, delivering behaviour change and income generating campaigns, internal communications and more.
We are looking for someone with:
- minimum two years’ experience in a communications role - Essential
- proven experience of media management and relations – Essential
- excellent written and verbal communication skills to extend to proficient editing and proof reading – Essential
- experience of using digital communications channels, including social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & LinkedIn) – Essential
- experience of providing strategic communications advice to a range of stakeholders - Essential
- a creative approach to content creation – Essential
- strong organisational and interpersonal skills - Essential
- experience of magazine and printed materials production - Preferred
- proven experience of managing corporate social media accounts - Preferred
- experience of working to tight deadlines and managing competing priorities – Preferred
experience in writing and publishing web copy – Preferred
And for someone who is:
- highly motivated and capable
- comfortable working both alone and as a member of a team
- flexible and collaborative
- positive and enthusiastic
- keen to make a difference to our residents
In exchange for your expertise, experience and enthusiasm, we will offer support in continuing your personal and career development, in addition to providing a wide range of employment linked benefits.
We provide you with competitive annual leave and contribute 15% towards the LGPS pension scheme. You will also have access to a range of discounts including local and high street stores, and salary sacrifice schemes including a cycle lease scheme, and ‘Better’ leisure centre membership.
Closing Date: 23 November 2022
Interviews: W/c 5 December or w/c 12 December 2022
Values and Behaviours
Our great working environment and the values and behaviours of every individual and team in the Council, help to evolve the culture of our organisation to become more commercial, innovative and embracing of change.
Successful applicants to our career opportunities will be able to demonstrate they share the values and behaviours we seek in our organisation.
See 'Who we are' as a council, to find out more about us.