Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
Hillingdon Library Service has refurbished or rebuilt all 17 of its buildings and offer more to residents than ever before.
About the role
Hillingdon Council are recruiting a Library Assistant on a permanent basis, for 27 hours per week. The salary for this role will be pro-rata.
The Library Service are seeking a passionate individual who is committed to delivering a high quality Library service to our residents.
Work patterns will be in discussion with Managers and based on our current opening hours which are subject to change and may need to be revisited.
As a Library Assistant, you will undertake a range of tasks and duties under the direction of the Branch Manager. The core purpose of this role will be to encourage the use of library services within the community, and to assist service users in making effective use of the resources and information available to them.
You will be working in a busy and pressured environment, so you will need to be confident and comfortable in a front-facing position in order to provide a customer-oriented service to the public. You will need to have excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly with customers and team members both verbally and in writing.
Applicants will be expected to be able to ensure the efficient operation of the front line service in the absence of a manager.
You will regularly encounter library users that require computer assistance and therefore good IT skills and sound knowledge of the Microsoft Office packages will be essential. In addition, you will need to be organised and methodical and able to follow instructions accurately, carrying out tasks and supporting users.
What we offer
The Library Assistant Job Profile is attached below for further information about the skills and experience required for this role.
When completing an application, please ensure you answer all questions.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.