Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
- 36-hour working week.
- Fixed term contracts will be considered.
- Hillingdon is a time wise accredited employer so we are open to discussions on flexible working (including requests for part time work) at interview stage.
- Professional membership paid.
- Professional Training and continuous development opportunities.
- Support with completing Competency Development Portfolio (CDP) to help you become a registered Food Safety Practitioner
- If you possess a minimum of Higher Certificate in Food Control including the Food Standards module or equivalent we can help you develop your skills.
- If you possess a degree in Environmental Health and are starting a career as an Environmental Health Practitioner or returning to food safety regulation following an absence we can help you develop your competency.
We are inviting applications from an individual looking to enhance their career within Food Safety.
We are a busy service ready to welcome you to our Food, Health and Safety Team. You will work on inland food law enforcement and as part of a Food and Safety Regulation Service which also has the responsibility for import controls carried out at London Heathrow Airport.
When located within the district you will work from the bustling town of Uxbridge on the fringes of West London with tube and bus connections, shopping, and recreational facilities all nearby. Further nearby transport links include the M25 M40 and M4.
As a member of the Food Safety Team, you will carry out proactive and reactive food hygiene inspections and interventions, investigate food complaints and give advice on all food hygiene and standards issues. You will have the opportunity to broaden your experience including dealing with approved premises, manufacturing premises as well as event safety. You will contribute toward developing new approaches to improve compliance. The work is varied including offering a perspective influenced by large local employers such as Heathrow Airport.
You will need to be highly organised and proactive in overseeing/dealing with a busy caseload. It is important that you are comfortable working around competing priorities, and that you can make decisions and meet deadlines. You will need excellent communication skills and must work well within a team. You must be proficient using IT systems.
You will have excellent interpersonal skills as well as a sound judgement and knowledge of relevant legislation. You will have a flexible and adaptable approach to your work and capacity to absorb new knowledge quickly and efficiently. You will work independently with the minimum of supervision and must have a full driving license.
Other important attributes include:
- developing technological solutions
- passion for learning
- problem solving
- exceptional customer service
- teamwork and relationship building
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
If you are interested in hearing more about the role please get in touch with Oliver Darius 01895 277475 or by email
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.