The Corporate Governance team in the London Borough of Newham, leads the corporate governance functions for the Council, in particular to:
- ensuring that council decisions are taken in the correct way and that decisions are timely, joined up and well presented.
- ensuring that the council fulfils all its obligations as regards scrutiny and that targeted scrutiny contributes to developing better public services.
- supporting the audit and other governance functions within the council to ensure that processes and decisions are robust.
- Duties under Freedom of Information (FOI) and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) are discharged efficiently and effectively.
Principal Corporate Governance Officer
£43,734 pa - £46,578 pa
The high profile role in the council is interesting, challenging and diverse. The post holders key responsibilities will be:
• Working with the senior management of the council, improve the approach to risk identification, assessment and mitigation.
• Support the development and operation of the council’s approach to corporate planning.
• Oversee the Freedom of Information and Data Protection Act/GDPR functions of the council, including liaising with the Information Commissioners Office as required.
• Working with audit and other council governance functions to improve the council’s governance systems and ensure processes are robust.
You will have knowledge and experience of developing organisational corporate plans and approaches to identifying and mitigating risk. A good understanding of public policy, local authority decision making and general corporate governance. Experience and/or knowledge of Freedom of Information / GDPR and Data Protection Act requirements - would be desirable.
You will have good experience in delivering project work, building strong relationships with senior management and politicians, be politically sensitive as flexible in embracing this new diverse role.
The London Borough of Newham is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Newham Redeployees.
The London Borough of Newham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Help Desk on: 0203 373 0909.