Recovery Officer (Council Tax, Business Rates and Sundry Debts including Adult Social Care Debt)
We are looking for an experienced person to work as a Recovery Officer within the Recovery Team to handle customer accounts and collect Council Tax, Business Rates and Sundry Debts. The team has consistently achieved very high percentage collection rates and you will help us to maintain our exceptional performance.
The individual must be able to negotiate to maximise collection by utilising the most appropriate method of recovery. This includes attachment of earnings/benefits, charging orders, instructing enforcement agents, and other available means. Work towards targets meeting deadlines.
Working in a pressurised environment, the successful candidate will be able to manage deadlines and meet recovery targets, whilst being compassionate, empathetic and understanding to customers in difficult situations
The team have recently gone through a new structure, so this is an exciting time to be joining.
The main duties of the role are:
- To proactively pursue outstanding debt due to the Council including Council Tax, Business Rates, Adult Social Care Debt or Sundry Debt
- Process Council Tax and Business Rates (NNDR) debt from the issue of summons
- Handling customer queries by telephone, email and by other means of contact
- Negotiating payment plans to ensure invoices are paid on time and that Council Tax/Business Rates arrears are brought up to date as quickly possible, allowing for the customer’s circumstances
- Monitoring customer accounts to ensure payments are being received and take action to progress recovery as appropriate
- Deciding on the most effective means of collection on an individual case basis
If you think this role would suit you and you would like further information please contact Becky Mortimer-Browne on 07824406992 or alternatively apply Wokingham Borough Council Jobs (jgp.co.uk)
Please be aware that we will review applications on receipt and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Closing Date: 25th November 2022, 11pm
Interview Date: TBC
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment. All successful candidates for this role will be subject to Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.