We have an exciting opportunity that has become available within Housing Services as a Senior Temporary Accommodation Officer and we are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated person with a passion for helping people and a strong background in housing services.
The post will contribute towards growing the accommodation available to Medway Council for temporary use, as well as managing existing temporary accommodation tenancies. The post holder will be responsible for supervising the rent accounts for temporary accommodation customers and maximising the opportunities for rental income.
The post holder will be responsible for operating at a senior level offering advice and assistance to members of staff, agencies and landlords. The role will involve assessing homeless applicants needs for the purpose of providing temporary accommodation, guide them though the process and assist with move on into suitable more long term accommodation.
The service is fast paced and varied and if you are looking for an interesting, rewarding role in a high profile area then this post is for you.
- Good general education to 5 GCSE's including English and Mathematics or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience of working in Homeless or housing services
- A demonstrable understanding of Legislation pertaining to Homelessness
- A strong track record of dealing with members of the public seeking re-housing
- Experience of overseeing work and guiding staff
- Able to maintain regular liaison with a wide range of partners to resolve housing needs and provide regular support to clients
- The ability to provide day to day advice and guidance to front line officers in customer contact centres and to other team members
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present complex information in an understandable way
- To be able to undertake visits to applicants in temporary accommodation and at other venues as and when appropriate
- Is proficient in the use of IT and Microsoft office programs such as Outlook, Word and Excel
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Tracy Chambers on 01634 333578.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.