We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic Digital Designer to join our Digital team at Medway Council.
You’ll lead on creating and iterating the visual design of our online services while ensuring they offer an excellent user experience for our customers.
You must be able to produce creative design concepts which reflect the council’s brand, while balancing the look and feel with good user experience.
You will develop and iterate the look and feel of sites including Medway.gov.uk, while upholding the council’s brand. Your designs will be informed by customer feedback so you will be confident with testing your designs with users.
We are looking for someone who has lots of experience in web best practice and can quickly get to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
This is the ideal opportunity to gain experience working on large digital products used by thousands of people every day.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in digital design or similar, experience in working in similar roles and organisations, have a love of the web and its possibilities, a passion for design and a clear understanding of how to use design to provide good user experience.
The main responsibilities of the post are:
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to design user focussed and successful online services, across our platforms
- Deliver wireframes and visual design concepts that meet our digital standards including accessibility, ensuring that key standards are met from the outset
- Work with developers to implement your designs e.g. into the content management system
- Use your knowledge of web design best practice to contribute to the development and continual enhancement of our online services
- Partner with colleagues to create a consistent user experience
- Build relationships and work effectively with staff and external providers
- Share your expertise of how design decisions impact accessibility both internally and externally
- Communicate confidently with the wider digital team and organisation.
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
Qualified to degree level in a relevant design discipline (or equivalent relevant workplace experience)
Demonstrable ability to apply practical/procedural/organisational/policy knowledge in a specialist area and can turn theory into practical solutions
Relevant professional accreditation
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Catherine Iles 01634 332763.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.