Fixed term or secondment opportunity until 31 March 2020
The LGA is the national voice of local government. We work with councils to support, promote and improve local government.
We are a politically-led, cross-party organisation that works on behalf of councils to ensure local government has a strong, credible voice with national government. We aim to influence and set the political agenda on the issues that matter to councils so they are able to deliver local solutions to national problems. We also promote a “sector-led” approach to improvement in the sector and provide a range of practical peer-based support to help councils continue to improve and grapple with the challenges they face locally.
There has never been a more exciting time to work for us.
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic adviser to work at the heart of our national improvement activity. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about local government and wants to be personally involved in supporting improvement in councils.
The successful candidate will play a key role in coordinating sector-led improvement, and supporting the work programme of the LGA’s Improvement and Innovation Board. They will develop an overview of our improvement work and help coordinate activity across the Directorate, reporting on progress to the LGA’s political structures and promoting our work and support offers to councils and others.
- Good understanding of local government and the challenges it faces.
- Politically savy and able to work with political sensitivity and discretion, gaining the confidence of officers and members
- Experience of managing complex and demanding workloads
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Good analytical skills, with the ability to pull together reports and briefings from a range of data sources and draw out the key issues.
- Experience of organising and facilitating workshops or events.
- An enthusiastic team player able to develop good working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, both internally and externally.