Are you looking to make a difference to someone’s life?
Are you caring, reliable and good with people?
Could you care for someone else?
If so, then we would like to hear from you.
Our Independence at Home team provides short-term care and support, mainly to older people within the city, to help them re-gain their confidence and independence so they can stay living in their own homes where they are most comfortable and happy.
Our last CQC Inspection rated our service as “Good”. It highlighted that “the service was well led” and staff felt that managers were “approachable and very supportive”.
Our aim is to provide the highest quality of care to the people who rely on us and we put their needs at the heart of everything we do. But we can’t continue to provide excellent care in the community without more dedicated, skilled and motivated carers.
Working as part of a dedicated team led by an experienced manager you will provide support to a wide range of people including individuals who have a physical disability, learning difficulty, sensory loss, mental health issues, dementia or a complex combination of needs.
This will include:
• personal care such as washing, bathing, dressing and toileting
• assistance with moving around their home
• help with shopping and preparing meals
• emotional and social support
• helping with medication
• liaising with other health care services and family members
• support to regain confidence with daily living skills.
Main advert detail
You don’t need any formal care qualifications but some previous care experience would be an advantage.
You will need to:
• have a caring, flexible and professional approach to your work
• have good written and number skills
• get on well with people from a variety of backgrounds
• work well as part of a team
• work on your own initiative
• be willing to undertake the high quality training we will provide for you
As part of your training, we will also give you the opportunity to shadow one of our experienced carers for a short period until you are able to undertake care calls on your own.
We can offer you:
• a higher rate of pay than the average market rate
• enhancements for working in the evenings, at weekends and on bank holidays
• a career average pension scheme
• generous holiday up to 25 days a year (Pro rata)
• paid travel time between calls
• paid mileage expenses
• regular supervision meetings
• a range of other staff benefits including childcare vouchers
• free uniform and personal protective equipment
• opportunities for career progression including support to enable you, if you wish, to study for the QCF diplomas in Health & Social Care (levels 2 and 3)
2 x 28 hrs (Split shift - 07:00-12:00 & 17:00-20:00)
1 x 24.5 hrs (Split shift - 07:00-11:00 & 17:00-20:00)
2 x 21 hrs (Day - 07:00-13:00)
2 x 17.5 hrs (Evening - 17:00-22:00) 1 x Permanent 1 x Temporary
Please note the salary is pro rata.
As part of the application process we require you to answer some additional questions to support your application. These questions can be located under available documents section and called Application Questions. Once you have answered your questions if you can upload your answers in a word document under the section called Statement (Knowledge, Skills & Experience). Please indicate on your application which post(s) you are applying for.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BAME or White Other background as well as those who identify as disabled, male or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce.
Tel: 01273 295213
Car drivers with use of own vehicle for work would be required for the majority of these positions.
As part of Brighton & Hove City Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process, without prior notice if a suitable redeployee (internal employee at risk of redundancy) is identified.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.