Dartford Housing Services really values the contribution our staff make and in return, we offer the opportunity to ‘make a difference’ and go home at the end of the day with a very real feeling of accomplishment. Due to recent and imminent changes in Private Sector Housing legislation, the Council is seeking a Private Sector Housing Officer experienced in all areas including disrepair, HHSRS inspections, HMOs (including licensing), empty properties, caravan site licensing and enforcement. The right candidate will have a knowledge of building construction, detailed knowledge of the relevant legislation including Housing Act 2004 & Housing and Planning Act 2016, housing enforcement experience and be able to manage their own caseload. You should also be enthusiastic, organised and a team player who is looking for a challenging new role in a busy office environment. The main aim of the post is to improve poor and dangerous housing conditions and to enforce or encourage improvement of private properties to safe and habitable standards.
You will be passionate about customer service excellence and will be a significant contributor to our vision of becoming the best Housing team in Kent.
This is a generic post and your duties may include;
- Investigation of complaints regarding housing disrepair, in line with council policies and
procedures, using the HHSRS and where necessary take enforcement action
- To assist in identifying HMOs in the borough
- Inspection, licensing and enforcement of houses of multiple occupation and caravan sites in line with council policies and procedures.
- Investigate empty homes in line with council policies and procedures.
- Grants & adaptations
- Represent the council at meetings with internal and external partners
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent numeracy skills;
- Confidence, enthusiasm and a flexible approach;
- Excellent administration skills, accuracy and attention to detail;
- Good keyboard skills and the proven ability to learn and utilise new software;
- Good customer care skills;
- The ability to discuss sensitive issues with our customers calmly; Excellent written and oral communication skills.