Clerk of Works
Full time 37 hours
Salary up to £39,985
RG6, scp 28-33 with gateway progression at SCP 31
£32,798 to £37,568 plus a market supplement of £2,417.66
Our team manages a significant portfolio of residential property, and our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We’re working hard to improve disadvantaged areas and enhance people’s lives across the Borough, including a carbon neutral strategy.
This role will provide a comprehensive professional building repairs inspection service in respect of refurbishment projects and planned maintenance of properties, within the housing portfolio including Sheltered Accommodation, Temporary Accommodation, and new build properties.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This job itself offers real variety and involvement in a wide range of exciting projects. Your day-to-day work could vary from inspecting a Victorian Terrace property suffering from structural movement to completing handover surveys of void dwellings; to assisting a project surveyor with inspecting their project to replace windows and cladding to a non-traditional block of flats or carrying out a site inspection for a new build scheme, built to Passivhaus standards. You may be working with our in-house trades teams to solve a mysterious roof leak or resolve a condensation issue
Main duties and responsibilities
- Inspection, written specification and ordering of works in line with the specification.
- Supervision of small works with internal and external contractors
- Ensure that works are carried out to the right specification with the right materials and fit for purpose
- Supervise work on site, issuing instructions that could have financial consequences and stopping works if necessary
- Writing general specifications for contracted work
- Responsible for collating any issues and concerns in relation to work on site and provision of written reports for the Project Managers /Supervising officers
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
You should be able to demonstrate a range of skills required for building surveying and maintenance works, covering the professional, contract and administrative aspects of day-to-day repairs work. We need you to be a good communicator with a proven background in building maintenance, construction, and project management.
- Good understanding of building pathology
- Working knowledge of all form’s construction, including M&E services.
- Practical understanding of standard forms of contract, how they are to be applied during a construction project.
- Working knowledge of contract management and administration.
- ONC/OND or higher in building construction
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Louise.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 16th Oct
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.