We are seeking a creative and motivated qualified social worker to join our Placement Team on a permanent basis. The Placement Team will offer you the opportunity to work with both approved foster carers and connected persons (family and friend’s carers). The post offers the opportunity to develop your skills, knowledge and practice in relation to completing Viability assessments, Connected Persons assessments and Form F assessments. You will gain confidence and experience of delivering training and supervising approved foster carers for the Local Authority. There is opportunity to learn from the experiences of the team members who are committed to delivering the highest quality service to the fostering families of Blaenau Gwent.
We welcome applications from experienced and newly qualified social workers who feel ready to take the next steps in their careers.
Blaenau-Gwent Placement Team is a dynamic and forward thinking team ready to take on the new challenges of fostering in Wales. We require a qualified social worker with the vision and commitment to assess and support foster carers to ensure that children who are looked after have the best outcomes possible.
This role focusses on the delivery of recruitment, assessment, approval, support and supervision of foster carers, including connected persons as well as ensuring that children remain at the centre of everything we do. You will prepare and present assessments to the Fostering Panel and agency decision maker and identify placements for children as appropriate to their needs. You will work in partnership with other professionals in order to provide quality placements that keep children safe.
It is essential to possess a degree in social work (or equivalent) and be registered with Social Care Wales or an equivalent body. Applications will be accepted from newly-qualified workers who have had at least one placement in a statutory children and families setting.
The main responsibilities of the post include:
- Completing assessments of prospective foster carers and presenting the assessment at our fostering panel
- Completing assessments of friends and family members (viability assessments and connected person’s assessments) to assess their suitability to care for children long term under the auspices of a Care Order or Special Guardianship Order (SGO). You will present these assessments to the fostering panel and where necessary, give evidence in Court.
- Supervising and supporting foster carers, including kinship foster carers, to support them in meeting the needs of the children in their care.
- Help to deliver training to carers in groups or in the carer’s home.
- Being available to support carers via our foster carers advice line.
- Help in the recruitment activities of new foster carers
- Complete office duty days
This post requires a registration with Social Care Wales under the category of Social Care Managers / Social Workers and registration will need to be in place prior to commencement in the role. Information on how to register with Social Care Wales can be found on the following website https://socialcare.wales
Thorough pre-employment screening is undertaken during the recruitment process. The post holder will be required to complete an application for a Disclosure of Criminal Records.
The post is one as identified to be suitable for “agile working” where post holders are expected to work from home and also have access to office space and be expected to work from an office depending on the needs of the service.
Closing Date: 06/10/2022 12:00 midnight
Shortlisting date: 10/10/2022 - PM
Interview Date: 14/10/2022 – PM
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.