Design and Consultation Officer
Ref no: 1874 - 2291
Salary: Band 8 - £28,221 to £30,755 p.a.
37 hours per week
City Development Service
Located at Portsmouth City Council's Civic Offices, Guildhall Square.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
The City Development Service is concerned with the planning and delivery of regeneration of the City of Portsmouth. The key teams of Planning Policy, Economic Development and Development Management provide a comprehensive approach to planning and development, while the Planning Enabling Team work proactively on a variety of regeneration projects and issues.
The service is currently working on a number of plans and projects, including a new Local Plan, an Economic Development Strategy and significant proactive work looking at the regeneration of Portsmouth City Centre and other sites.
The Design and Consultation Officer will lead on all planning promotional and engagement work carried out by the service, including production of visualisations, technical drawings and documents, project planning and consultation.
The role sits within the Planning Policy team but will provide a resource for the whole City Development Service. Tasks will require liaison with a variety of internal and external customers including businesses, residents and other officers within PCC, as well as Senior Councillors. As Design and Consultation Officer you will require a proactive, confident and informed approach with some political awareness. The work will involve
- Working in a collaborative way with City Development officers and others to understand and illustrate planning and design concepts.
- Using specialist Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) software to prepare 2D & 3D drawings, visualisations for public realm improvement schemes, feasibility & massing studies for the Council’s planning documents and own planning applications. This should include a working knowledge of the following software (or recognised equivalents):
- Adobe Illustrator (essential)
- Adobe Photoshop (essential)
- Adobe InDesign (essential)
- Trimble SketchUp (essential)
- AutoCAD (desirable)
- Designing and supplying cartographic maps for all aspects of the City Development Service.
- Providing lead expertise on specialist Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to maintain, update and analyse the Council's data sets, including the design of queries. Preparation of promotional and other material for use by the City Development Service.
- Leading on all public consultation arrangements, including the use of consultation databases, recording, collating and publishing records of engagement and monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of consultation processes and procedures.
Who is the person?
We are looking for a creative, confident, proactive, individual who is comfortable in a busy working environment. The person needs to be well organised and able to cope with competing priorities and changes at short notice.
You need to have:
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Proven experience of using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software to produce materials to a high standard.
- Proven experience of using, maintaining and interrogating Geographical Information Systems.
- Awareness and experience of public consultation techniques and processes
- Experience of project management and being able to deliver on time.
- The ability to resource and collate information as you will be required to prepare documents as well as assimilate information for the production of reports.
- The ability to effectively network with internal and external stakeholders, agencies and consultants
- The ability to prioritise your workload as you will be required to deal with a number of different priorities at the same time. Excellent organisational skills and the ability to deal with change and uncertainty
- Experience of working in a design and engagement role.
- A good attention to detail and level of accuracy.
- The ability to work flexibly to meet the requirements of the team and the wider service.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel/ Word/ Access and PowerPoint.
- Good numeracy skills and literacy skills.
- An understanding of the built environment and delivering physical regeneration would be an advantage.
For an informal discussion regarding this role, please call Toby Ayling on 02392 437863.
Architectural visualiser; architectural visualisation; digital artist; 3D visualiser; 3D modeller; graphic designer; urban graphics.
Closing date: 18th September 2018
Interview process: 27th September 2018