Based in the Sevenoaks area with office facilities at Sevenoaks District Council Offices.
We are looking for a Community Engagement Officer to lead on the community engagement elements of the Delivery Stage of the HLF Sevenoaks Greensand Commons Project. The project aims include the restoration, enhancement and community engagement of the natural and landscape heritage of the Sevenoaks Greensand Commons (SGC). You will be responsible for the planning and delivery of engagement activities with a wide range of audiences from schools/young people to organisations such as those working with older people with Alzheimer’s and dementia, and care homes.
This is an exciting, innovative project delivering a range of outcomes for the wildlife, landscape and social heritage for communities in and around Sevenoaks. You will be responsible for leading this work and supporting volunteer input where appropriate, ensuring the delivery of the project on time and on budget.
The project work includes restoration of heathland and wood pasture habitats, and work on improving access to the commons, both physical and intellectual. A creative approach to community engagement in the widest sense will underpin this work. The ability to make and maintain productive working relationships with existing and new contacts, including volunteers and partners will be essential. Supporting the development of local Friends of Groups over the 4 years of the project is also a key objective.
You will work closely with the Project Manager and an established, strong and supportive steering group, Sevenoaks District Council (SDC) and KWT staff, stakeholders and delivery partners. This includes skilled and enthusiastic local volunteers with a wide range of specialisms encouraging the furthering and sharing of the fantastic resources of the commons.
You: To be considered for this fantastic role, in a great team, in a fantastic setting, you MUST be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven significant relevant experience in education, youth work, community development project work.
- An understanding of national curriculum, education policy and thinking, and best practice in working with young people.
- A qualification to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject (education, youth work, community development, ecology, environment, countryside management, heritage), or qualified by experience.
- Demonstrable experience of presentation skills, public speaking and work with the media and experience of working with a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrable ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team.
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Dave Hutton on 01622 662012.
Interview Date - Thursday 27th/Friday 28th September 2018
Please note interviews will be held at Sevenoaks District Council Offices, Argyle Rd, Sevenoaks TN13 1HG.