Corporate Procurement & Contract Management Apprentice
Up to 23 months or upon successful completion of the apprenticeship
Full time 37 hours
RG3 – scp 5-11
£19,650 - £22,129
Procurement and Contract Management are key activities to support the commercial position of any business in private, public or third/charity sector including Councils. Through competitive processes and effective relationships, we can help the Council secure good value for money in purchasing activities and through into contract delivery. The role is part of an advancement programme within Corporate Procurement whereby we actively develop staff within our department in order to progress within our team or specialise out into the wider Council. This role will provide you with an opportunity to become a public sector procurement professional, securing skills that will support you to access many employment opportunities throughout a career in commercial activity in any sector.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This post will support the development of the commissioning and procurement best practice framework and subsequent implementation across the Council to deliver the best overall value possible from procurement and contracts, including social value.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Undertake and complete Level 4 Apprenticeship Standard in Commercial Procurement & Supply, attend all necessary workshops and professional development opportunities to meet knowledge and skills requirements
- Develop an understanding of Local Government and a working knowledge of Reading Borough Council functions.
- Support effective procurement and contract management practice across the Council across a range of projects which may include Adult Social Care, IT/Software, Transport, Highways, Culture, Housing, Property and Consultancy
- Actively support change projects that improve quality and performance in commissioning and procurement approach
- Develop an understanding and use of Management Information systems
- Support the administration of the Council’s eProcurement system
- Undertake data analysis activity to assess and manage supplier performance and contractual spend
- Raise purchase orders and goods receipting for payment
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- Good academic qualifications and relevant experience.
- Maths & English GCSE grade C and above or equivalent (although functional skills qualifications can be offered as part of the apprenticeship if GCSE standard not yet achieved)
- Able to acquire technical knowledge and then apply it in giving advice
- Happy to work on own initiative, to solve complex problems
- Demonstrable ability to prioritise projects and activities including the ability to handle competing demands on time
- Proven verbal and non-verbal communication skills including the demonstrable ability to write documents and present these effectively
- A strong team player, able to develop shared approaches
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all stakeholders to agree and deliver the required results
- Good analytical skills, interpreting and presenting data
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 2nd Oct
Interview Date: tbc
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.