It’s an exciting time for our Building Cleaning Team! We are looking for a responsible, reliable individual to undertake the duties of cleaning supervisor. You will have a friendly approach to residents and staff, and you will help to make the scheme a positive place for residents to live.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
To maintain a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene within Reading Borough Council properties in accordance with service and/or client specifications, to ensure and provide a clean, safe and hygienic environment, to help ensure an effective and efficient operation of cleaning services.
- Responsible for supporting, training, and developing your team to deliver the highest possible standards following the correct procedures and health and safety guidelines as set out by the department
- Ensure staff follow all site rules and maintain a smart appearance including the wearing of uniforms, time keeping and following the health and safety policies at all time
- To ensure you always setting a great example for the rest of the team in your work ethic, your interactions with staff and all colleagues and building users
- Monitor stock levels and report to your line manager when orders are required ensuring a stable level of product is readily available for the team
- Ensure that equipment, and PPE is checked and requests for replacements/repairs are made immediately
- To be aware and comply with safe working practices as laid down under the Health and Safety Acts whilst in your place of work. This will include your awareness of any specific hazards in your workplace and being conversant with all required checks within your area of responsibility and ensure that they are always up to date
- Carry out daily cleaning audits to review standards achieved by the team and feedback findings to management with rectification plans ready
- To record and report site maintenance issues that you find on site
- Undertake and deliver necessary training to your team to fulfil your role
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
- Good understanding of what is required to be an effective supervisor
- Good English language communication skills, including the ability to understand and respond to instructions both written and verbal
- Good customer service skills with an understanding of customer expectations and how these can be met
- Experience in a supervisor role
- Cleaning experience with both equipment and machinery
- Ability to work calmly and efficiently under pressure
- Good teamwork skills
- Confident in delivering training sessions to the team
- Good understanding of COSHH and colour coding
- Good understanding of safe working practices
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact Joshua.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 25th September
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.