Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have a new opportunity for a Habilitation and Mobility Officer to work in our Sensory Support Team (SST). This team works with families, pre-schools, and schools in West Sussex to support the educational and developmental needs of children and young people with a sensory impairment or a physical disability. The SST aims to support educational establishments to ensure that they carry out their statutory duties and work within the requirements of the Children and Families Act and Equalities Act to provide reasonable adjustments to support the inclusion of children with visual, hearing, multi-sensory impairment and physical disabilities across West Sussex.
Central to the Sensory Support Team ethos is strong partnership working with families and schools to provide a coordinated and holistic multi-agency response to meeting the needs of children and young people with sensory impairment/physical disabilities in West Sussex. For more information, please visit our Education, Children and Families page on our WSCC website.
About The Job
Salary: £30,095 to £32,798 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Interview Date: Thursday 13th October
In this role you will carry out activities such as undertaking the assessment of Habilitation needs; identifying needs accurately and planning appropriate training programmes. You will be an integral part of the Sensory Support Team. You will deliver planned, comprehensive, and co-ordinated support and intervention for identified children and young people with visual impairments. You'll employ a family partnership approach to supporting parents and carers, also working in partnership with schools to promote the inclusion and independence of children and young people with visual impairments. You will also provide advice and carry out assessment of Habilitation skills for children and young people with a visual impairment including those pupils with education and health care plans. You will need to ensure that children and educational placements have appropriate support regarding Habilitation and mobility, liaising with other agencies where appropriate.
Experience and Skills
In order to be successful, you should have secure knowledge and understanding of the Habilitation needs of children and young people with visual impairments from 0 to 19. In addition to this you will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to provide clear and concise advice and information to a range of audiences.
- Ability to analyse the needs of children and young people with visual impairment and to advise on a responsive programme of support to ensure development of independence and inclusion.
- Ability to plan and organise own work independently and to work as part of a team.
- To be a confident and capable user of ICT.
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve and work flexibly.
- To be able to evaluate the quality of own teaching and learning and to adapt to meet the needs of children and young people in schools and other settings.
- To be able to form professional working relationships with others and promote a positive work culture.
- To be able to provide advice and support to other staff in a sensitive and purposeful way.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Diploma in Rehabilitation or Habilitation -Essential
- Significant experience of undertaking Habilitation assessments and planning appropriate intervention programmes. - Essential
- Experience of working with children and young people - Essential
- Experience of interagency and multidisciplinary work -Desirable
- Knowledge and understanding of the Curriculum Framework for Visual Impairment (CFVI). Desirable
- A working knowledge of uncontracted/contracted UEB braille. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03851.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.