Job Title: Tribunals Officer
Location: Hertfordshire - travel to various locations required. Hybrid working between offices/home
Starting Salary: £31,895 with the opportunity to progress to a maximum of £35,336 pa
Hours: 37 per week
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
It’s an exciting time to join the new Resolution and Reconciliation Team in Hertfordshire as a Tribunal Officer, to help make our vision a reality!
Do you have:
- A meticulous approach, eye for detail and a thorough knowledge of SEND legislation?
- Excellent oral and written skills for a range of audiences?
- An ability to manage pressure and unpredictable demands relating to your workload?
If so, we would be delighted to hear from you regarding this exciting opportunity within the SEND Tribunal Team!
Hertfordshire's SEND Service are responsible for, statutory functions on behalf of the authority and have significant contact with members of the public and other professionals from both within and outside of the County Council.
There are two specialist teams. One covers the statutory assessment process and the front door for all enquiries relating to SEND, the other is our Provision and Placements team who manage the process following the first annual review to include any change of setting. Each team manage the crucial interfaces with support services, Children’s Services and the Corporate Parenting Team, as well as maintaining excellent multi-agency working.
As a Tribunal Officer working with both these teams, you will be responsible for managing a caseload of appeals from the date it is lodged to close.
A high proportion of this role involves working directly with parents, schools and other professional bodies within the statutory and legal framework related to the SEND Tribunal process.
You will be joining an experienced and supportive SEND Tribunal Team, with regular opportunities for CPD to develop your expertise.
To be considered for this role, it is essential to have demonstrable experience and/or an in-depth understanding and knowledge of:
- The stages of the SEND appeal process, including preparation for and/or attendance at hearings.
- SEND decision making – the key factors that lead to robust and sustainable decisions.
- The different roles and responsibilities of multi-disciplinary professionals.
Additional skills and knowledge required include:
- Be naturally methodical and forensic in your analysis of case evidence.
- Have excellent planning skills with a well organised approach to managing changing priorities.
- Naturally foster good working relationships with professionals and parents.
- Have well developed and flexible communication skills – in writing and orally.
- Be dynamic and able to use your initiative with a focus on early resolution.
We believe SEND is everyone’s business and through the new SEND Strategy 2022 – 2025, we would like you to share in our vision, aspiration and priorities for developing support and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. Find out more here:
For more information, please find the full job description below and refer to this before submitting your application.
Closing Date: 20th September 2022
Interview Date: 30th September 2022
For an informal discussion and more information please contact: Vanessa.Croxford@hertfordshire.gov.uk using the subject bar “Tribunal Officer Vacancy”.