Contaminated Land Technical Assistant
Ref no: 1833 - 2333
Salary: Band 5 - £18,413 - £20,653 pro rata
24 hours per week (days and times can be discussed)
What is the role?
You will provide technical support to the Contaminated Land team ensuring that all data that provides information and knowledge about Contaminated Land in the City is captured on GIS. This information includes past and current activities, whether land has been investigated or tested, and environmental information.
This will involve:
- Information management
- Being responsible for the CLT filing systems and data storage, ensuring all records are stored and archived correctly in electronic form, and paper files are digitised and the paper original filed correctly.
- Maintaining the database GeoEnviron - this is the Contaminated Land Team's (CLT) Geographical Information System (GIS).
- Being the lead officer for continuous data capture on GeoEnviron for all reports, enquiries, historic information etc. relevant to the CLT.
- Spatial editing on GIS to accurately map where information relates to
- Maintaining and updating the CLT's Trades and Petroleum Licence databases.
- Problem solving to accurately locate information
- Implementing and following best practice on data management
- Creative use of resources to deliver outcomes
- Maintaining public record of regulatory action under Part IIa ('Part 2a') of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Keeping records of time spent on regular enquiries and reviewing service charges accordingly on an annual basis
- Producing annual statistics, data and other correspondence which may assist in the business plan objectives
- Assisting in the implementation and development of the Council's Contaminated Land Strategy
- Undertaking a preliminary review of planning applications relating to contaminated land including screening reports
- Manage the CL email inbox and respond to requests for information
- Producing plans and maps and providing to with associated reports.
- Maintaining a template for reporting 'Land Use Enquiry' using MapEagle (the CLT's GIS reporting software).
- Preparing reports and responses to both written and verbal requests for information concerning sites of potential contamination as necessary. This may include:
- solicitor enquiries (e.g. conveyancing);
- consultants/developers who require summaries of CLT data holdings ('land use enquiries') and all public records;
- internal enquiries from Parks & Leisure, Asset Management, Engineers etc. relating to information held by the CLT and its potential impact on proposed developments;
- CPSE internal legal enquiries;
- 'Right to buy' enquiries from Legal / Asset Management;
- Local Land Charges Enquiries;
- Enquiries made direct from members of the public
- Consolidating information for FoI team for enquiries made under Environmental Information Regulations and Freedom of Information legislation.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Have the ability to set and meet realistic targets and objectives
- Have the ability to prioritise work, follow set procedures and work with minimal supervision
- Be self-motivated on a daily basis
- Have a high level of people skills and positive attitude in dealing with customers
- Have good communication skills both written and verbal
- Have technical competency and work quality with thorough record keeping
- Have experience of working with the general public
- Be proficient in the use of MS Office/Excel/Access/Word and GIS (ideally GeoEnviron and MapEagle)
- Have good literacy and numeracy skills
- Be consistent, supportive, proactive and flexible in the way you deliver
- Be positive, and energetic and take pride in your and our success
- Be responsible and accountable for delivery of your personal tasks and outcomes
- Be committed to team success
- Be committed to delivering exceptional customer service
- Have excellent problem solving skills
- Have experience of working in a busy and demanding environment
- Have experience of working with different stakeholders able to explain technical information in a way that non-technical customers can understand
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Be highly organised and able to manage differing priorities
Closing 17th September 2018
Interview process 25th September 2018