About The Job
Salary: £41,591 to £44,624 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: County Hall, Chichester and hybrid working
Interview Date: 10 October 2022
Do you have the ability to deliver demanding construction/building projects, acting in the role as a Project Manager? Come and join our Economy Planning and Place team and help make a difference to the lives of our residents within West Sussex.
You will deliver a full client-side project management service, including provision of construction/property professional and technical advice on building projects under your control. You will be working in with the Council's outsourced Multi-Disciplinary Consultant (MDC) and other Capital Programme delivery contractors. You will project manage the MDC and other contractors on any given building project to effectively deliver a pre and post contract service. Covering, but not limited to, feasibilities, project development, project consultation, project procurement, construction and hand over to meet Capital Programme requirements and to satisfy stakeholder needs.
Experience and Skills
- Advanced analytical skills in order to interpret, manipulate and manage complex contract/tender/financial information.
- Highly developed communication, report writing and interpersonal skills in order to create and maintain effective working relationships, including the ability to influence clients/contractors.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate potential risks and problems, resolve issues independently, planning solutions and making sound pragmatic decisions which could be business critical.
- Ability to organise and manage a demanding procurement/contract management service.
- Effective people management skills including performance management with ability to provide support and direction to consultants and contractors.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree, or equivalent level qualification or experience in a construction related discipline, demonstrating a high level of applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating and information on building projects.
- Membership of a relevant construction professional body or clear evidence of working towards membership of a professional body such as RIBA, RICS, CIOB, or equivalent.
- Significant experience of the built environment, delivering capital, regeneration, refurbishment and school expansion projects.
- Significant experience demonstrated by monitoring/managing complex building contracts effectively within strict time/cost/quality constraints.
- Significant experience of financial project management processes and procedures.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 29 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A strong supportive management team.
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 (Including: Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more).
- Free access to employee assistance programmes.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- Car benefit scheme.
- A range of commuting and business travel discounts and initiatives
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00999.
To apply, please follow the links below upload your CV and cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to 3 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!