Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
This is an exciting new role, where you will play a pivotal part in ensuring the council receives value for money in its procurement activity. Responsible to the Principal Accountant (Special Projects), the post holder will act as a first point of contact on procurement matters and will provide procurement advice and support to officers across the council. The post holder will also assist the Finance Team in the delivery of the Financial Services Business Plan.
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- To advise and support officer’s across the council on procurement matters.
- To conduct a quarterly creditors analysis reviewing spend as appropriate to ensure thresholds are maintained.
- To update and maintain the council’s contracts register
- Review of new supplier set up forms from officers
- Act as administrator for the Kent Business Portal
- Annually review and update the council’s procurement strategy
- To provide transactional and operational finance support.
- To contribute to the completion of returns and claims with regards to government grants.
- To co-ordinate the council’s response to Government / CIPFA consultations that are related to finance.
- To assist the Principal Accountant (Special projects) in maintaining the financial records of the Local Authority Trading Companies.
- Data and Transparency
- To co-ordinate responses to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests on behalf of the finance team.
- Degree level of education or equivalent
- Working towards a procurement qualification
- Working within a finance team
- Working in local government or other public sector setting
- CIPS qualified
- Co-ordinating Freedom of Information Requests (FOI).
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Gary Giles on 01474 337189 or alternatively e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.