Early Years Finance & Business Manager (PO8)
Published on: Date 30/08/2022
Closing on: 30/09/2022
Working Pattern: Full Time / Permanent
Hours: 36 hours per week
Salary: £51,717-£54,873 per annum
DBS Check: Enhanced
Location: Business Centre/Higham Hill JSC, 313 Billet Road, Walthamstow, London,E17
Would you like to be a part of the early years workforce that creates thriving, high quality,
inclusive, safe and sustainable Early Years and childcare provision for the children of our
If you have the talent and ambition to support Waltham Forest to deliver new and improved
services, an appetite for innovation and aspiration to make a positive difference for childcare
providers and children we would very much like to hear from you.
The borough is growing and changing which bring challenges and great opportunities. It is
culturally diverse and has a vibrant community, rich in culture and is at the forefront of
regeneration in London.
Covid has created a number of challenges for schools and Ofsted registered providers
including changes to demand for places, workforce challenges, financial sustainability, and
increased number of children requiring additional support. The provision of high-quality
finance and business support will be vital to support our providers to meet these challenges
and enable them to continue to provide quality early years and childcare places.
The Early Years Finance & Business Manager role is a key member of the team delivering
this support, information and training to Schools and PVI settings providing early years and
childcare places and will be pivotal in the development and sustainability of childcare and
Free Early Education places. The role will be responsible for:
• Leading on the Councils statutory duty to develop and implement a transparent Early Years
Funding Formula, operational management of the Early Years DSG budget (circa £22
million), and making accurate and timely payments to circa 250 providers
• Producing and presenting a range of accurate information and reports to senior managers,
external partners and Schools Forum
• Providing a range of support, information and training via a range of digital platforms,
desktop assessments, on-site visits and one-to-one meetings, as well as a range of tools,
templates and resources for new and existing providers around finance and business to
ensure they are aware of and comply with DfE, LA and statutory requirements in the delivery
of their services.
• Developing and implementing a business support, advice and training strategy and
delivering or commissioning and contract managing training providers to deliver these
• To work with internal and external partners to maximise take up of free early education
places in line with or above London and/or National averages.
• Developing and facilitating partnership working and peer to peer/system support to maximise
on the wealth of knowledge and expertise that already exists across the early year’s sector
and share best practice.
• Providing support and guidance around the importance of regularly reviewing business
plans, local supply and demand, and delivery models to ensure that providers meet the
needs of parents and carers but also support sustainability and viability of their business.
• Provide support, information and training around financial skills such as occupancy levels,
break even points, calculating unit costs, fees and charging policies and robust procedures
to assist providers in sustaining their business.
• Contributing to the LA’s childcare sufficiency assessment to ensure we have robust and
accurate information to inform place creation planning
• Leading on and contributing to the develop of strategies which improve the quality of service
provision by being a member of a number of strategic groups/boards.
How to Apply
Application Information The councils preference is for on-line application forms. However if you have a disability and are unable to complete an on-line application, please email email@example.com so we can arrange an alternative.
For more information on how to complete your application form, follow this link: Applying for a job at Waltham Forest Council
Click here for further information on the Human Resources recruitment privacy notice.