Debt Advice Apprentice
Fixed Term – 16 months
Full time, 37 hours per week
Apprentice Minimum Wage of £177.97 per week
Looking for a rewarding new role that offers flexible and family-friendly working options? You’ve found it – and plenty more besides. It’s your chance to join a friendly and supportive team of people who work together to make a positive difference for everyone in Reading. Join us, and you can look forward to excellent training and development opportunities too, so you can grow your skills and build a great future with us.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
Reporting to the Debt Advice Team Leader, your main duties will include:
- Booking in appointments with residents following a referral being made to the Service.
- To send letters and texts for forthcoming appointments and letters to tenants introducing the Debt Advice Service.
- To provide administrative assistance to the Debt Advice Team including writing letters, telephone answering, sending emails and taking messages as required.
- To maintain the Debt Advice Services database and make accurate records of actions taken.
- To assist Tenants and Residents to get online and make claims for benefits and maintain claims.
- Undertake training to deliver basic Debt Advice appointments with tenants and residents including assessing income, outgoings and debts and providing relevant advice and support to explore their debt options.
- Undertake training to assist with the assessment of Discretionary payments administered by the Debt Advice Team.
- The ideal candidate will have previous computer experience and good customer service skills.
About the role
We require an enthusiastic and motivated individual to undertake a variety of general administration support to the Debt Advice Team and wider Housing Service. You will be supported in undertaking the Public Service Operational Delivery Apprenticeship Level 3 qualification.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 27th Sept
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.