Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first. We are recruiting a Language Specialist to act as an Inclusion Advisor within schools, colleges and post 16 education establishments.
The post will sit within the Inclusion team, within the Disabilities Service
Hillingdon's Inclusion Team is a highly regarded and dynamic team dedicated to maximising inclusion and independence for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and we are situated within the Early Intervention and Prevention Service within the Disability Service.
About the job
This role is designed to work with schools and education establishments for CYP school age to 25 years. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop exciting initiatives that will make a long term difference in enabling those with speech, language and social communication delay to achieve to their highest potential. In addition they will work in close partnership with our Speech and language therapists in identifying borough wide aims in response to local need. The successful candidate will work closely with Headteachers, SENCO's, teachers and school staff to identify needs and implement whole school development programmes aimed at changing ethos and pedagogy. They will offer specialist input in order to raise quality of support, enhance opportunities and development of strategies within the school through specialist training, coaching and guidance. These will enable children and young people with speech, language and communication delay to achieve their outcomes and enhance life opportunities. Our Service is committed to an inclusive philosophy and practice and this guides our work, aims and initiatives. The Inclusion Team's vision is that all children and young people will receive education and teaching that promote high aspirations, equality, supportive strategies and person-centred planning that enable them to achieve high standards and reach their life goals.
All team members have regular support and supervision and quality induction upon joining the service.
About the person
As a Language Specialist you will be:
- Confident and able to develop and deliver high quality, current and inspirational training to whole school/college settings
- Able to work collaboratively with Headteachers and Senior Leadership Teams to support schools and colleges in developing effective provision for children and young people with language needs
- Experienced in promoting children and/or young people's language development and raising awareness of the impact that poor language development can have on overall outcomes
- A good communicator, in person and writing
- Dedicated to supporting the inclusion of vulnerable children and young people using good knowledge of current educational and disability legislations.
- A team player and able to build strong relationships with both colleagues as well as education partners or school leaders
- Committed to collaborative multi-agency working practices
- Have a relevant qualification (i.e. Teaching, Specialist knowledge and experience in SLC or Speech and Language Therapist or trainee)
Development & rewards
Hillingdon offer competitive packages to reward your contribution and support a healthy work/life balance. These include:
- 36 hour working week
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Free Parking
- Car mileage allowance
- Smart phone and laptop to enable mobile working
- Savings on the cost of childcare through our Childcare Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Cycle purchase scheme
- A full induction and mentoring programme
- A continuous professional development (CPD) programme
- Discounts and deals on national attractions, theme parks, holidays, insurance and many national retailers.