Reading Borough Council is committed to providing a high quality effective and efficient waste collection service.
We carry out a full range of domestic, recycling and commercial waste collection services to a high standard endeavouring to reduce landfill and maximize recycling across the services.
We are looking for experienced refuse drivers to drive and be responsible for refuse vehicles as required and remove domestic/trade refuse from houses, shops, schools and other domestic or commercial establishments.
The ideal candidate should be prepared for physically demanding manual work and manoeuvring of the refuse vehicle when on the round and at the disposal site. You will be working in all weathers and must have a can do and flexible attitude.
Applicants must hold a clean Class 2HGV License. Previous experience will be at an advantage.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Driving and being responsible for the vehicle and crew.
- Daily routine maintenance, including oil, water and fuel checks.
- Visual inspection of the vehicle and reporting faults to the Cleansing Supervisor.
- The operation of power mechanism and the safe tipping of refuse at disposal sites.
- Transporting refuse collection crew.
- When not driving, assisting with collection of refuse and recycling in wheeled bins and bags.
- Working in a team.
- Excellent customer care skills.
- Follow Health & Safety procedures.
Internal Reading Borough Council employees must login via Employee Self Service to apply. If you have not yet been issued with your Employee Self Service account, or you have any queries, please email EmployeeSelfService@reading.gov.uk with details.
Visit http://www.reading.gov.uk/jobsearch for more details on how to apply online. Alternatively, call the Recruitment Team on 0118 937 2039 (24 hour answerphone) quoting the job reference number and the job title of the post you are interested in.
Please do not send a CV: for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Closing date: 16 September 2018
Interview date: not before 25 September 2018