Reading Borough Council has a Stand Alone AMHP team of 4 full time AMHP’s working Monday to Friday and we are seeking 3 AMHP’s to join our respected team. The team are managed by the AMHP Lead who also is an AMHP and Social Care Team Lead.
- In depth knowledge of expertise in conducting Mental Health Act Assessments across all client groups and competent in dealing with persons who are suffering from mental disorder .
- Knowledge of role and function of AMHP
- Knowledge of clinical condition
- Knowledge of social, cultural, and ethnic factors
- Knowledge of risk factors
- Knowledge of role and function of other professions and agencies
- Creative and imaginative use of resources
- Appropriate concern for personal safety
In determining whether it is satisfied a person has appropriate competence the Local Social Services Authority will take into account the following factors-
That the person fulfils at least one of the professional requirements (qualified nurse, OT, Psychologist or Social Worker, and Before an LSSA may approve a person to act as an AMHP who has not been approved or treated as approved in England and Wales, the person must have completed an approved AMHP course in the last five years which is registered with the Health and Social Care Professions Council.
About the role:
- You are expected to be on the AMHP duty rota regularly.
- Ensure that the requirements of the MHA 1983 (as amended 2007) are met and that client’s rights are upheld under the Act.
- To make independent judgements relating to disposals under the MHA 1983, taking into account a wide range of external factors and influences.
- To ensure the protection of persons and safety of client property both during and following application of the MHA 1983.
- To be cognisant with issues relating to people from a wide variety of backgrounds and to ensure that these are taken into account at all times.
- To communicate with a wide range of people and in particular to communicate and deliver messages which will potentially be received in a hostile manner, which will require sensitive management.
- To undertake to manage the process of Mental Health Act Assessments and the management of the environment throughout potentially highly distressing, volatile and emotionally unpredictable situations.
- To ensure and take responsibility for full compliance with Safeguarding Adults and Safeguarding Children procedures, including making referrals to these departments arising out of concerns identified at Mental Health Act Assessments.
- Maintain high standards of client care, ensuring individuality and dignity is maintained at all times, whilst promoting independence and the possibility of recovery.
- Ensure that Nearest Relatives are accurately identified and fully communicated with, both verbally and in writing.
- Ensure that information regarding client needs is communicated promptly and accurately to other team members involved in their care.
- To participate on BIA rota as directed.
For further information about the role please contact Valbona Demiri, AMHP & Social Care Team Lead on 0118 960 5612.
Closing date: 16 September 2018
Interview date: not before 25 September 2018
Internal Reading Borough Council employees must login via Employee Self Service to apply. If you have not yet been issued with your Employee Self Service account, or you have any queries, please email EmployeeSelfService@reading.gov.uk with details.
Visit http://www.reading.gov.uk/jobsearch for more details on how to apply online. Alternatively, call the Recruitment Team on 0118 937 2039 (24 hour answerphone) quoting the job reference number and the job title of the post you are interested in.
Please do not send a CV: for the purposes of equal opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.