About the job
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are looking for a Resilience and Emergencies Advisor to join us based in Chichester.
Salary: £33,486 to £36,371 per annum, (£20,091 - £21,822 per annum, pro rata)
Working Pattern: Part-time, 22.2 hours per week
Out of Hours: On Call as part of a Rota (On Call Allowance per duty)
Location: County Hall, Chichester with hybrid working options available.
In this role you will report to the Head of Resilience and Emergencies. Day to day you will work collaboratively with other services within the County Council and several external stakeholders too.
You will be responsible for supporting and developing business continuity plans with WSCC Services, developing and maintaining contingency plans for a range of emergency incidents. Providing an in and out of hours emergency response to incidents on a duty rota, this will involve gathering information, assessing the incident and provide the appropriate support or escalate to managers if required.
You will also be supporting the delivery of Community Resilience with local communities in support of the "West Sussex County Council Plan"
The role is office based although there will be a requirement to attend the scene of emergencies to act as a Liaison Officer on behalf of WSCC. The role requires you to support a duty rota which includes providing an out of hours response.
You will regularly work with all directorates across WSCC and external partner agencies in developing plans and combined response.
Experience and skills
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- Analytical and judgemental skills to analyse and interpret varied and complex situations to produce strategies over the long term, including Major Civil Emergencies Plans
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and independently on tasks and projects.
- Ability to respond to emergencies in a measured and flexible manner.
- A Driving Licence is required.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Demonstrable relevant emergency, crisis management or business continuity experience and providing professional advice to a range of senior officers and partner organisations. (Associate Membership of the Business Continuity Institute or similar preferred)
- Experience of developing and maintaining partnerships with internal and external organisations and maintaining relationships to support the delivery of the County Council's Civil Contingency responsibilities.
- Experience of undertaking risk assessments/management, developing plans and policies, preparing and delivering outcomes.
- Experience of developing and delivering training to internal and external audiences (HABC Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QFC) or similar preferred.)
- Experience of contributing to an effective response to emergencies.
- Degree, or equivalent qualification or experience, demonstrating that level of applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
Reward and benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive salary.
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme.
- Flexible working.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 (Including: Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more).
- Free access to employee assistance programmes.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- Car benefit scheme.
- A range of commuting and business travel discounts and initiatives
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CPP00533.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Christopher Scott (Resilience and Emergencies Advisor) at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact
To apply, please follow the links below upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to 3 years referencing and a health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!