About the job
West Sussex County Council are looking for a Senior Customer Relationship Officer to support our customers through complaints procedures and Freedom of Information processes.
Salary: £33,486 to £36,371 per annum.
Working Pattern: Full-time, 37 hours per week.
Contract Length: Permanent.
Location: County Hall, Chichester.
In this role you will be responsible for monitoring and delegated supervision of a high-quality Complaints service.
The Senior Customer Relations Officer also supports the Complaints Manager and the Customer Relations Manager in the development of the service.
You will work to tight timescales, carrying out a wide variety of tasks in any one day which could include;
- Supporting customers and staff.
- Responding to enquiries.
- Preparing reports.
- Maintaining data and statistics.
- Advising staff and customers on complaint management issues.
- Providing informal supervision.
As delegated by the Complaints Manager, the role holder will need to progress a series of day-to-day activities, making frequent decisions and exercising initiative, but consulting with the Customer Relations Manager or another senior manager on policy or resource issues, as well as on matters of good practice and safeguarding.
The role may involve exposure to potentially disturbing information or challenging behaviours from customers. There is a regular and intrinsic requirement to communicate in English with members of the public.
The ability to travel independently to locations across and outside the County is essential. The role will also require flexible working to meet the needs of customers with the possibility of occasional evening/weekend meetings.
Experience and skills
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex people-related information and data to prioritise needs and to negotiate and implement effective plans for intervention and service provision.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Effective people management skills with the ability to provide direction, motivate and develop staff, demonstrate the ability to successfully transfer bespoke knowledge and "up-skill" employees or others.
- Ability to work in partnership with carers, colleagues and a variety of external agencies in order to deliver the most effective service, including the ability to act as a Lead professional, facilitating and co-ordinating multi-agency meetings and plans.
- Ability to work professionally, to reflect on own practice and take responsibility and be proactive in relation to own work and professional development.
- Excellent literacy, numeracy and IT skills in order to maintain records, to produce reports, presentations and spreadsheets.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Relevant professional qualification or demonstrable equivalent comparable experience.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of complaints legislation and guidance. Including 'Getting the Best from Complaints', The Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009, and other relevant legislation.
- Relevant knowledge of systems, procedures and policies associated with operating a demanding and customer focused service, including risk management, health and safety, and safeguarding.
- Proven track record of working with a wide range of customers externally and internally.
- Experience of successfully delivering training.
- Evidence of effectively managing a complex case load, with competing demands, prioritising work, and meeting deadlines.
- Experience of managing, supervising, and monitoring the work of team members, including provision of training and mentoring, to meet service objectives and deliver a high-quality professional service.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive salary.
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A strong supportive management team.
- A range of discounts giving our staff access to hundreds of offers with the opportunity to save over £1,000 (Including: Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more).
- Free access to employee assistance programmes.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- Car benefit scheme.
- A range of commuting and business travel discounts and initiatives
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CPP00547.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Dave Loveman, Customer Relations Manager at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
This post is subject to satisfactory references, health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing reference only CC