You will have knowledge and understanding to support young people who are exploring issues, or looking for support relating to their sexual and gender identity. You will be able to demonstrate the practical delivery of your knowledge and experience, along with a demonstrable passion for working with LGBTQ young people. You will deliver direct support work for young people, through both group work and one to one
Reporting to the multi-agency leadership team, you will engage with young people who are exploring their sexual and gender identity. You will support them to assess need holistically and work with them to develop sustainable solutions that improve their ability to achieve better outcomes.
This post-holder will ensure that help is provided to young people in the most effective way to ensure that improved outcomes are achieved, including reducing demand on statutory child protection services and other specialist services.
The main responsibilities will be to
- support young people who are seeking support in exploring their sexual and/or gender identity
- Offer information and advice to young people in a variety of settings/environments. It is expected that this will be for an agreed period of time and monitored with the young person alongside supervision. This will include offering fixed term, one to one interventions for young people who are exploring issues, or looking for support relating to their sexual and gender identity and where their parents may not be engaged with our service
- Support the delivery of youth group sessions, taking part in planning, delivery and evaluation of weekly sessions
- Complete assessments with young people to understand their needs and work with them to improve outcomes
- Adopt a style of practice, in line with restorative principles, to work with young people, empowering them to find their own solutions to identified problems.
- Provide quality up to date information, advice and support which supports young people’s emotional health, personal and social development and promotes healthy lifestyles in schools and colleges across Portsmouth City
- Promote the involvement of young people in planning, delivery and evaluation of services.
- Represent the service at meetings and at school/ college and community events when required.
- To keep up to date on issues that affect children’s and young people e.g. changes in government policy and local practice.
- To support all services delivered by the multiagency teams through the Team around the worker model. To provide training to professionals and organizations and assist them in the identification of young carers and to recognise their needs to support them
- To be aware of and contribute towards achieving the KPIs set for the Early Help and Prevention Service within your locality.
- You will need to hold a nationally recognised qualification or have equivalent experience with an up to date working knowledge of safeguarding children and yound people with a particular focus on the issues faced by young people exploring their sexual and/or gender identity.