Home working options available
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced manager to join our Recycling and Waste services team. The successful applicant would be responsible for the efficient delivery of high-quality frontline services that meet the needs of our customerexpectations and stakeholders, in line with national codes of practice, statutory requirements and Council policy and strategy.
Reading Borough Council is committed to providing a high quality effective and efficient waste collection service providing a full range of domestic, recycling and commercial waste collections, endeavouring to reduce landfill and maximize recycling across the borough. The Council’s Recycling rate has increased from 32% to 51% over the past 18 months.
The Recycling and Waste service have been shortlisted for the 2022 National APSE Award for Best Service Team: Waste Management & Recycling Service.
A recent internal audit report of the Recycling and Waste operations found the management and operation of the service to provide Substantial Assurance.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the Role
The post holder will, manage and develop all aspects of the Recycling and Waste collection service, demonstrating a thorough working knowledge of household and commercial recycling and waste collections:
- To plan for the major recycling and waste service changes that it is anticipated will emerge from the Government’s Resource and Waste Strategy. Implementing changed working practices to meet legislative and statutory requirements, within the resource constraints of the Council. Both financial and workforce.
- To lead and manage the delivery of a high quality, responsive, customer focussed, efficient and cost-effective waste/recycling collection service within Reading.
- Be responsible for the direct management of the Recycling and Waste service management team including the Assistant Waste Manager, Operations Supervisors, to assist them in the supervision of 65 staff within the service in accordance with Council policies.
- Lead and manage workforce development, developing training for approx 65 operatives and to upskill and motivate staff.
- Manage the Council’s Recycling and Enforcement team in the robust enforcement of environmental crimes across the borough including (but not limited to), fly-tipping, littering and commercial waste enforcement.
- You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
- Previous experience within a similar management and leadership role within a Recycling and Waste related service.
- A thorough understanding of relevant legislation covering Environmental Services including enforcement.
- A thorough understanding of the Resource and Waste Strategy and its implications for the Recycling and Waste Service.
- A thorough understanding of relevant Health & Safety (at work) legislation.
- Thorough understanding of relevant contractual issues.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 14th August 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Interview Process: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.