Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: 37 Hours per week
With over 2000 food businesses to work with, we are a small but busy department, and we are now looking for casual Regulatory Officers to join our team to assist with delivery of Environmental Health Functions.
Primarily we are looking for support in delivering food hygiene inspections, but there may also be opportunities to support in proactive health and safety projects, investigating accidents, food complaints or Environmental Protection.
As well as being a great place to work we also offer some additional incentives to those willing to commute to the island
- Local and national staff discounts & benefits scheme
- Solent ferry travel discounts via Red Funnel, Wightlink & Hovertravel
- Island bus network discount
- Staff parking permit scheme
- Discounted island sports & leisure gym membership
- Contribution to commuting cost
We need officers who are enthusiastic and flexible and will positively contribute to driving our service forward. You’ll need to have an investigative, assertive approach to problem solving and able to work as part of a team.
To meet the competencies sent out in the Food Law Code of Practice for a Food Safety Officer, you’ll need to be:
- A qualified Environmental Health Officer (higher certificate in Food Control or equivalent)
- Registered with the Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB) or equivalent
- Have recent experience of food safety enforcement gained within a Local Authority
- A valid driving licence is essential
The Isle of Wight Council protects its employees from discrimination and this is supported by the Unacceptable Behaviour Policy, Employee Code of Conduct and Behaviours Framework. We actively promote the diversity of our workforce and we provide flexible working options (where appropriate) to support the different needs of our employees.
The Isle of Wight Council is an equal opportunities employer, who is proud to encourage applications from all cultures, backgrounds and abilities to better reflect the diversity within our local community. In addition to this, we are also a Disability Confident Employer. Along with a number of other areas of commitments, this means that providing you meet the basic essential requirements of the advertised role and have declared yourself as disabled, you will be offered an opportunity for an interview within the council.