Hertfordshire Registration Service is seeking to appoint a Registration Officer to work at Hertford Register Office in a ceremonial and registration role. This is a variable hours contract so the number of days working will depend on workload demand.
You will be required to work week- days to cover for annual leave, sickness and other absence. The office hours of opening are Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00 pm and Fridays 8.30 between 8.30pm and 4.00pm.
You will also be required to register and conduct ceremonies at the Register Office and also at Approved Premises in the Hertford District. The ceremonies are during the week and at weekends and bank holidays.
Other responsibilities will also include the registration of births, the legal preliminaries for marriage and civil partnership and the planning of ceremonies.
Appointments are both face to face and over the telephone and must be accurate, timely and in accordance with statute.
Candidates will need the following skills:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required and the ability to relate to people of all ages, races, sexual orientation, cultures and religions often at difficult times in their lives.
- First class interviewing skills and the ability to extract information from informants.
- Excellent presentation skills to deliver the appropriate ceremonies often in very imposing venues, occasioning a large financial investment on behalf of the customer.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise workload.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team. To be supportive of colleagues and be prepared to accept support and advice where necessary.
- Good standard of English and numeracy and the ability to write legibly and to spell correctly. Good IT skills and attention to detail.
- Versatile and adaptable with the ability to move smoothly between diverse tasks such as, from registering a death to registering a marriage.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- A car driver with access to a vehicle which is insured for business use.