Harborough District Council has a small dedicated IT team who will be delivering a large number of change projects over the next two years. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join us in a Service Desk role. This means you assist with routine maintenance and assist in the delivery of some aspects of our projects.
Working with, and under the direction of the existing IT team members, the apprentice will be supported in providing assistance to HDC staff via face-to-face, telephone and email/web communications as part of our internal Service Desk function. As skills and knowledge are gained, you will be given the opportunity to work on some of the change projects.
You will be expected to undertake the following duties:
- Providing first line support to HDC users and elected members
- Use the HDC Service Desk software to manage calls
- Assist in the diagnosis of technical issues
- Undertake routine maintenance, such as patching and updates
- Assist in the management of the asset register and auditing of system records
- Assist in the setup and distribution of new/replacement equipment to users
- Assist, where appropriate, in the delivery of change projects
- Create and maintain IT documentation
- Undertake basic project management
You will have the opportunity to gain exposure to a diverse range of technologies, including operating systems, infrastructure, networks, telephony and cloud solutions.
This means you will get involved with providing first line support to our users, assist with routine maintenance and assist in the delivery of some aspects of our projects. Our users are either based in the main Council offices or at remote locations, including homes, so you will learn to diagnose issues remotely.
You won’t be joining the IT Crowd, but neither will you be joining Google. This is a small, friendly, multi-skilled team where we have to be jack-of-all trades.
Requirements and Prospects
- Literacy skills to be able to write emails and documents for consumption by staff and elected members
- Numeracy skills to be able to undertake basic calculations
- A good grounding in general IT skills, including Microsoft Windows and Office
- Good communication and customer services skills, both face to face and over the phone/email
- Problem solving skills
- Able to work in a team
- Able to work using your own initiative
- Able to organise your time effectively and to prioritise your workload to meet deadlines
- Confidentiality is important due to the nature of the job
- Confident approach
- Attention to detail
- The ability to build a good working relationship with our users
- 5 GCSE at grade C or above or equivalent to include Literacy
- Numeracy and an ICT related subject
There may be opportunities to progress onto a Level 4 apprenticeship. You will be able to apply for relevant jobs internally if they arise. You will have the ability to deal with Customers effectively and apply your IT skills to a future role in IT Service Desk support. You will gain knowledge of how a council department works and the workings of the council, including councillors and members of the public.
Things to consider
- You will be working in an open plan office environment where people “hot desk” and so move around frequently, however you will be assigned a specific desk. This means the office environment can be noisy at times
- You may need to work early or late on occasions by agreement
- You will be given the opportunity to get involved in occasional weekend change projects if and when they arise
- You need to be able to get into Market Harborough town centre
- You will be expected to wear appropriate business attire for meetings and working in public areas
- The job will involve long periods of sitting at a PC but may also require light lifting and carrying duties
- You will need to wear an identification pass
- Due to the nature of the job and the information you are dealing with, confidentiality is very important
- Working for a council also means you may have contact with some of the District Councillors
- You will have contact with external contractors
- You are required to provide 2 references, once which must be your most recent employer
- This is only a fixed term contract and there is no guarantee of a job at the end of your apprenticeship
About the employer
Harborough District Council is a local authority in South Leicestershire. We have around 200 employees and are primarily based in Market Harborough.
The council has around 90,000 residents living in the district and we provide services from waste collection, Council tax and business rate collection to recreation facilities, environmental health and planning services.
NORTH WARWICKSHIRE AND HINCKLEY COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by South Leicestershire College.
The Apprenticeship will consist of the following:
- Functional Skill in maths Level
- Functional Skill in English Level
- Functional Skill in ICT Level
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
There may be a requirement to attend the College for day release (where appropriate).
Assessments and Observations will be carried out during agreed times in the workplace.
On the job training will be provided by the employer in addition to the Apprenticeship framework.
On the job training by employers.
e-learning modules for new starters and Corporate Induction.
Other in house organisational training provided by HDC.
IT Application Specialist