Reading Borough Council offers more than just your next job. It’s a place where you can shape your career and we will ensure that you have every opportunity available to you to progress, if that’s what you want. That means regular performance appraisals and feedback from your line manager, supporting you to develop your skills and experience.
Reading is a vibrant town subject to considerable development growth but that brings with it a large planning enforcement case load.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
This post is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in our development management planning team. You will be a principal officer in one of the two planning application teams – Major Projects Team and Applications Team. You will have a caseload of significant or complex applications and you will help to mentor others in the team working on the whole range of planning application types and enquiries.
Each team relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
Experience required for this role:
- You will have a recognised degree or equivalent qualification, ideally in planning or similar discipline.
- You will have significant and relevant experience of working at Senior or Principal level in a local government planning team, preferably in development management.
- You will have experience of managing a complex and challenging caseload of major planning applications and some experience of hearings or public inquiry appeals.
- You will have experience of coaching and managing others so that, working as a team, performance targets are met and customers receive a good service.
- You will be comfortable working on your own at home or as part of a team.
- You will be able to provide examples of how you have taken initiative or made a difference.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact the Planning & Building Control Manager: Julie.Williams@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 7th August 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.