Business Support Trainee (Legal Team)
Full time 37 hours
RG3– scp 5-7
We have a fantastic opportunity for 3 apprentices to join our Legal Operations Team which provides high quality business support to Reading Borough Council’s Legal Service.
The Legal Service in Reading provide excellent in-house provision to our teams across the Council and through our Joint Legal Shared Service we provide councils across Berkshire with a legal service which is approaching 25 years in term. It is an extremely exciting time to join our legal service in Reading as we continue to deliver our ambitious strategic plan.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
These roles will work as part of a team responsible for providing comprehensive administration support to the council’s legal service. Postholders will deliver general operational support to a very busy service and with the right training and support you will be able to help deliver effective system and process support to staff within the service.
These are new roles for the service as we aim to provide the opportunity to develop a core skill as part of the role, those areas are:
- Data Analysis - to help provide management information and financial data to support our legal service management team and our partners.
- Project Management – to strengthen our ability to plan and manage small projects and help us track progress of service improvements
- Digital System Support - to help support staff in the service get the best out of the technology we have access to including specialist legal systems and software.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
- You will have a good level of general qualification and now be looking to begin your career while learning on the job and studying for an apprentice qualification.
- You will need a good level of IT experience and be familiar with excel and its capabilities, you will also need to promote and provide excellent customer service.
- You will be expected to respond to a wide and varied workload and be able to manage the expectations of both customers and colleagues.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Wendy.Everett@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 7th August
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.