Building Safety Manager
Full time 37 hours
RG9 – scp 45-50
Salary up to £64,643.18
£49,702 - £55,838, plus a market supplement of £9,765.18
Our team manages a significant portfolio of residential property, and our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within in a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We’re working hard to improve disadvantaged areas and enhance people’s lives across the Borough, including a carbon neutral strategy.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
We support hybrid working arrangements and would envisage this role being delivered through a mix of remote and on-site working.
About the role
The Council has a Housing stock of approx. 5700 properties, which include seven 8 and 15 storey blocks of flats. Following on from the Hackett Review and the introduction of the Building Safety Act, safety of High-Rise blocks has taken on an even greater significance. This has seen the introduction of an Accountable Person function to manage building safety risks, particularly, but not exclusively around the spread of fire and structural failure. This role is to assist the Compliance Manager is ensuring that the Accountable Person function and duties are managed effectively.
The Building Safety Act defines particular duties of the function, and a vital part of the role is in ensuring these are carried out as defined in the act.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
The following experience is required for this role:
- Excellent communicator with a proven background in building safety and compliance, but with a particular focus on fire precautions.
- Able to manage a range of stakeholders and work with a senior management team to achieve results in a pressurised environment.
- A good understanding of building safety legislation, good practice requirements and building risk management.
- A good understanding of fire precautions requirements, fire risk assessments and works required to maintain compliance.
- Aware of different procurement routes, including specification and tender preparation and management.
- Structured and logical in your approach.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of building construction and structures with a recognised qualification in construction or Health and Safety.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.email@example.com
Closing Date: 7th August
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.