Full time 37 hours
We will also consider part time, job share and term time
£43,570 - £49,702
Our Legal Services Department is recruiting to a number of new roles following a restructure and ongoing investment in the team.
Reading’s Legal Services Team is composed of our highly regarded internal Corporate Legal Team, serving the needs of the Council across a wide range of functions. Reading is also host to the Joint Legal Team, a long-standing shared legal service for all the Berkshire councils and a recognised centre of excellence for childcare, adults and education law.
The purpose of Legal Services is to provide the Council and its partners with the highest quality professional legal advice and representation which allows them to run their organisations well, and to serve our community. Our ambition is to be the best place to practice law in local government; being close to our customers, recruiting the best talent, successfully deploying legal technology and ensuring the continued growth of the business to new customers.
A range of several new appointments are on offer which reflect the continued growth and investment in the Legal team by the Council and its partners. We are open to flexible working patterns and can provide a hybrid working environment which utilises the best of both worlds with a mix of office working in central Reading and home-working according to the needs of the Service.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
You will report to the Principal Lawyer in each area who will support you in your work and in your professional development. We place considerable emphasis on learning and development in the role and you will be supported to develop your skills and to move to the next level in your career. You will also be assisted by our new Legal Operations Team supporting you in delivering your work as we invest further in our systems and processes and work towards Lexcel accreditation.
Whatever your specialism or previous experience, you will thrive on the challenge of working in a customer focussed environment and a in team which has an ambitious agenda for the future. You will have plenty of opportunity to join in the wider work of the team outside your specialist field in helping us to reach our team objectives.
All of our lawyer roles are open to qualified solicitors, barristers and chartered legal executives.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- A qualified lawyer who can command the respect of clients with extensive knowledge and experience of a specialist area of law
- A team player who can contribute to the wider objectives of the team
- Committed to learning and development of staff, colleagues and clients
- Experience of delivering continuous improvement in terms of your practice and the work of your clients
- Supporting our Property Services and Asset Management colleagues with a range of general property, landlord & tenant and development work
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 14th Aug
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.