Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
A new opportunity has arisen for a Trainee Building Surveyor. This is a career graded progressive role, which will enable the post holder to obtain a qualification whilst undertaking and developing the relevant requirements of role.
To support and facilitate the Building Surveying Team, as directed, in the delivery of maintenance, repairs, refurbishment, improvement and compliance works such as:
- Instruction of works and raising purchase orders.
- Checking and certifying contractor payments / invoices.
- Maintaining contractor health & safety documentation and insurance details.
- Prepare measured surveys and drawings of buildings and sites.
- Keeping records of PAT testing undertaken and schedules of required testing.
- Obtaining and contractors’ RAMS.
- Preparing permits to work in line with the corporate processes.
- Being an active participant of the Civic Centre ‘Fire Team’.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of relevant legislation, codes of practice, policies, circulars and technical developments, etc.
- Assisting with stock condition surveys to assist with development of the department’s planned and cyclical maintenance programme.
- Inspection of buildings to learn how to identify defects and specify remedial and refurbishment works.
- Tendering of specified works, analysis of tenders and quotations for accuracy, all in accordance with the Council’s procurement rules and procedures.
- Management of contractors, carrying out site inspections and supervision of work in progress to ensure works are carried out in accordance with the specification and that the working practices of contractors is in accordance with all relevant Health & Safety legislation, together with problem solving on site.
- Display general level of ability in letter & report writing; exhibit a clear & comprehensible writing style in line with Plain English principles.
- Experience of working in an office environment, including the appropriate use of information technology including the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Effective communication, organisational and analytical skills.
- Ability to take instruction and work as a member of a team and to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Time/priority management: developing ability & understanding of techniques.
- Flexible attitude to work and willingness to accept change including readiness to learn new skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Presentation skills: developing ability.
- Customer care awareness.
- Some knowledge, interest and understanding of building construction related activity.
- Good standards of general education to 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 (or equivalent) including English and Maths and/or a recognised Level 2 qualification in a construction related field.
- Work experience in a relevant discipline.
- Willingness to undertake occasional out of hours work.
- Ability and willingness to undertake general and further specialist training as required.
- To undertake continuing professional development training to keep knowledge and skills base up to date and current.
- Undertake required site visits, accompanied as necessary.
- CAD experience.
- Full Driving Licence and use of own vehicle.
- An awareness of building design, building construction and building materials technology.
- Work experience in a similar role
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager, call Stuart Crowley on 01474 337565
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to Apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.