Data Protection Officer
Salary: £54,513 - £57,570
Contract Type / Working Hours: Permanent / 35hrs per week
Location - Mulberry Place, 5 Clove Crescent, London E14 2BG.
Tower Hamlets is a tremendously vibrant and diverse borough in East London. With excellent transport links and offering the best of London (within approximately 7.5 square miles), our assets include Brick Lane, Columbia and Spitalfields markets, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, museums, and galleries. Other destinations include Truman Brewery and Victoria Park, and some world class educational institutions, including Queen Mary’s School of Medicine and Dentistry, and Barts NHS Trust. Visitors to our borough will see Tower Hamlets’ diversity, which is a legacy of its long history of ethnic and cultural diversity, making it a unique and highly valued place by those who live and work here.
We aim to provide excellent services to our residents and businesses, and our operating principles are centred around five core values:
· Together - We work TOGETHER across boundaries and with partners to achieve the best outcomes for Tower Hamlets
· Open and honest - We are OPEN and transparent
· Willing - We are WILLING to challenge, innovate and be accountable
· Excellence - We empower each other to be EXCELLENT and go the extra mile
· Respect - We RESPECT all communities; they are the heart of everything we do
This is an exciting time to be joining us, as the organisation continues to pursue a far-reaching transformation agenda that better meets the changing needs of our community, and we will shortly be moving to our new Town Hall in Whitechapel.
The Council is looking to appoint to the position of Data Protection Officer. Reporting to the Head of Information Governance, this post will complement and have responsibility for leading a team in the provision of professional services across the Council.
The main duties of this role will include:
· Acting as the single point of contact with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and fulfilling the statutory role of Data Protection Officer (DPO) for the Council. It will lead in the provision of independent and expert advice to the Council’s Corporate Leadership Team in matters arising under the UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act and wider privacy legislation requirements.
· The post holder, in addition to Records Management, will be responsible for managing a team to provide expert advice and support for directorates across the Council and the wider public, in matters relating to the Freedom of Information Act and the Environmental Information Regulations. This post is pivotal and working across the organisation, helping to drive consistency of professional practice and compliance with council policies and statutory obligations.
· Developing effective policies, corporate processes and networks with senior managers, to ensure information governance advice is sought from the team. The post will also deliver comprehensive monitoring regimes and audits, and work to ensure staff at all levels across the organisation undertake appropriate training in relation to the requirements of their roles.
This high profile role acts as contact point for data subjects and the ICO; it monitors and drives internal compliance and gives direct advice to the Council’s board on Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs) and its data protection obligations. The role would suite someone who thrives in the challenge of building strong working relations, collaborating with others to achieve service improvements and who takes pride in leading, motivating and developing a team in providing effect services.
The person will have extensive Data Protection and GDPR knowledge and expertise and be able to give timely, accurate, and helpful advice to senior managers in a confident manner. They will have good knowledge and understanding of the Freedom of Information Act, the Environmental Information Regulations, Records Management and other related information security regulations. They will have excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels in the organisation.
The candidate will be proficient in the use of IT, with good project management skills and be able to understand the business quickly.
If you would like to have a confidential conversation about the role, please contact: Katherine.email@example.com to arrange an appointment with the Director of Customer Services
Closing date: 11th July 2022
Interview Dates: 20th & 21st July 2022.