Income and Recovery Officer (Council Tax)
Full time 37 hours
RG4/5 scp 11-28
£22,129 to £32,798
If you’re looking to combine a challenging new role with an excellent quality of life, take a close look at Reading Borough Council. You’ll be part of an ambitious organisation that’s driven by innovation, fresh thinking and an entrepreneurial spirit. As a learning organisation, we offer exceptional opportunities for training, development and career progression.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Working as a key part of the team you’ll be responsible for ensuring that the Council’s revenue and income streams are protected. You’ll be involved in investigation and resolutions of issues, ensuring policies and controls are adhered to, whilst maintaining a professional and empathic approach. The role does allow you to extend your salary through RG5 but is likely that you will start at the base of RG4 detailed above.
Key tasks include:
- Timely and effective Council Tax payments
- Maintaining contact with clients offering advice on welfare benefits and to promote financial and digital inclusion
- Resolving queries both internally and externally
- Updating appropriate reports
- Negotiating repayment plans with clients
- Liaise with and support the wider revenues team
- Provide Advice and Signposting to customers on all aspects of Service provision within the Customer Management Service
- Team now works from home with occasional days in the office
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- A background in Local Authority Council Tax collection
- Strong customer focus
- Resilient and confident in approach
- Competent in Microsoft Office products, and database software programmes
- Calm, confident manner to handle potentially uncomfortable conversations
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices together with Home working.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 5th July
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.