Salary: £67,364 to £76,141 per annum
Contract type: Permanent
Working pattern: Full-time
Closing date: 9am, Wednesday 13 July 2022
Interview date: Thursday 21 July 2022
Please make reference to the Personal Specification and Job Description when completing the Skills and Competencies part of the application. Applications should be forwarded to
About the role
Chief Operating Officer
Required from: 1st September or as soon as is practicable
Hours: 5 days per week, 37 hours per week
Schoolsworks is a multi-academy trust, currently working with eight primary schools (and a new free school in pre-opening) on the West Sussex coast, with offices in Littlehampton. Our strap-line is, Building Children’s Futures Together, emphasising that our pupils are central to everything we do and that we work collaboratively and with high expectations.
We are seeking to appoint a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join our friendly, supportive and forward-thinking school trust. This is a brand new role within Schoolsworks which gives the successful candidate the opportunity to bring their unique skills, qualities and experience to the Trust in order to help deliver an effective operation that maximises learning opportunities and outcomes for children.
The COO will oversee operational functions of the Trust, which consist of a central shared services team (SST) and primary school leaders. These functions include: IT, estates, health and safety, compliance, risk, data management, catering, management of third-party service providers and, in conjunction with the Chief Finance Officer, managing finance functions.
This is an executive position within the Trust’s leadership team which will work alongside the CEO, Deputy CEO (school improvement), Chief Finance Officer (CFO), Trust Business Manager and Company Secretary/Executive Assistant.
The successful candidate will have technical ability, confidence, strong leadership and management skills, ambition, drive and people skills for this new role. The key objective is to evaluate and provide direction across non-academic services for the Trust, other than finance.
Initially, the primary focus for this new post will be on developing and managing IT in the Trust to include:
● leading the design and implementation programme for a trust-wide digital strategy
● developing with our third party service provider an integrated approach to supporting our current IT infrastructure
● designing and implementing a trust-wide cyber security strategy including gaining Cyber Essentials accreditation
● leading the development and implementation of an IT emergency and business continuity plan
The COO will work directly to the CEO and will liaise with colleagues in the Trust’s Shared Services Team as well with all the schools’ headteachers. The role is office-based at the Trust’s offices but will require some travel to all schools in the Trust. A flexible working approach to include some working from home is negotiable.
The successful candidate will:
● Be experienced in managing the delivery of digital strategy and IT support within a multi-site education setting or similar
● Hold a relevant professional qualification or postgraduate degree
● Have good general leadership and relevant managerial experience
● Be proactive and demonstrate initiative, whilst being able to manage their time effectively
● Be emotionally intelligent, have good communication skills, be approachable and be able to build positive relationships with staff and other stakeholders
● Be an excellent team player who can support the Trust vision
● Have the ability to lead change
● Be reliable, diligent and maintain confidentiality
● Be flexible and adaptable to work with the changing needs of the Trust
Visits to the Trust are welcome.
Please contact Mrs Louise Pope (Executive Assistant) to arrange your visit on 01903 278202 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make reference to the Personal Specification and Job Description when completing the Skills and Competencies part of the application. Applications should be forwarded to email@example.com.
Schoolsworks Academy Trust is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. There is an expectation of all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is
subject to a successful Disclosure & Barring check, satisfactory references and pre-employment checks.
Closing Date: 9am, Wednesday 13th July 2022
Interview Date: Thursday, 21st July 2022
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is part-time or term-time only.